• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 Vector stalls at idle...

So had a Yamaha Tech take a look at the machine; good news is he found the problem. Bad news is, its a huge job.

Looks like the exhaust valves are all out of adjustment.

Flat rate calls for 14 Hours. The entire top half of the machine as well as the cross member have t be removed to access the valve cover.

So far it looks like the dealer (SM Sport) is going to help me out since thanks to the lockdown I can't take it to QC and they are going to work with my local dealer. Just trying to haggle out a deal on what they want to pay verses what the local shop wants to charge.
Interesting. It's very rare for the exhaust valves to lose clearance. Usually intakes are the culprits.

He said similar. Also said he can only remember a handful of them ever needing an adjustment at all.

So that's just over 10,000 miles.
You would think Yamaha would cover this under warranty.
I also have a 16 with only about 4500 miles on it.
So far so good.

I think warranty is 2 years and the machine is 5 years old so would be a bit much to expect.

I'm a new owner to this machine. The tech tells me that this has probably been a worsening problem for quite some time so maybe had they gotten it looked at sooner it would have been done under factory warranty.

As it is, it will hopefully be covered by the used vehicle warranty.

I think warranty is 2 years and the machine is 5 years old so would be a bit much to expect.

I'm a new owner to this machine. The tech tells me that this has probably been a worsening problem for quite some time so maybe had they gotten it looked at sooner it would have been done under factory warranty.

As it is, it will hopefully be covered by the used vehicle warranty.

This bothers me. Maybe I am overreacting. But the exhaust valves are stretching due to heat. I felt this more related to Vipers. Than rear exhaust Sleds. The old school diagnosis for this is to hold a piece of Cardstock paper. To hold it to the exhaust pipe. When the piston goes down on the intake stroke if the exhaust valve is open or burned. It will suck the paper to the tailpipe. Because the leak creates a Vacuum. I have experienced this myself. Lol it was on a ford Truck.

So had a Yamaha Tech take a look at the machine; good news is he found the problem. Bad news is, its a huge job.

Looks like the exhaust valves are all out of adjustment.

Flat rate calls for 14 Hours. The entire top half of the machine as well as the cross member have t be removed to access the valve cover.

So far it looks like the dealer (SM Sport) is going to help me out since thanks to the lockdown I can't take it to QC and they are going to work with my local dealer. Just trying to haggle out a deal on what they want to pay verses what the local shop wants to charge.

So did the tech remove the valve cover and measure the valve clearance or is this an assumption on his part?

So did the tech remove the valve cover and measure the valve clearance or is this an assumption on his part?

He was able to open the cover enough to check the clearances.
Removing it is a huge job as there is apparently a sadist in charge of design over at Yamaha!

I'd ask to inspect it with the tech. I agree with grizz and question his diagnosis.

The valve cover is not that hard to remove but if the valves need adjusted the cams need to be lifted which means the timing chain would need to be removed then reset. To do that the rear engine mount would need to be removed so the engine could be rocked forward to gain access to the chain tensioner.

I find it hard to believe that the valve lash clearance was measured correctly or measured at all. You may want to have the reluctor ring on the stub shaft checked to see if it slipped and if the valve cover was lifted or removed the cam/crank timing marks should have been checked to make sure the chain didn't skip.

The valve cover is not that hard to remove but if the valves need adjusted the cams need to be lifted which means the timing chain would need to be removed then reset. To do that the rear engine mount would need to be removed so the engine could be rocked forward to gain access to the chain tensioner.

I find it hard to believe that the valve lash clearance was measured correctly or measured at all. You may want to have the reluctor ring on the stub shaft checked to see if it slipped and if the valve cover was lifted or removed the cam/crank timing marks should have been checked to make sure the chain didn't skip.

I was there to see him check. 5 out of 6 valves require adjustment.

He said the problem with this job is the exhaust has to be removed since it is rear exit. Which requires tank and seat to be removed.

Spec is minimum 0.008 thousandths, but imo, unless there is less than 0.006, it isn't the trouble.

UPDATE: So got the sled back today. Tech left it parked in unheated shed over night so was good and cold. Started up first fine as usual. Then idled perfectly, no stalls, surges or sputters. Took it for a quick blast up and down the lake did some hard brake applications and couldn't get it to stall...

Best part... The selling dealer has agreed to cover the cost for me, which I think is pretty good of them since they could have said no as the warrantee is for their shop only.

So shout out to SM Sport in QC.

Back