• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 Viper MPI Turbo

98Slim

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Its a secret
Anyone hear any news regarding Yamaha proactively recalling the 2016 Vipers to replace rods? I managed 600 miles with the 180 kit last year, but felt every ride out might be my last. I have so much money tied up in the sled now I may just bite the bullet and have stronger rods put in now before season. thanks

Same boat.

It obviously makes me happy I have the 5 year YES. But I haven't heard any new news. In reading the main thread on the topic ...

http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/wa...iper-turbo-breakdowns-bad-rods.138289/page-43

It looks like the guys that are losing motors are doing so early and they are being taken care of by the warranty. It stinks as I wanted to go up to 240 after a year but I am not sure that I have the desire to void the engine warranty and spend an additional chunk of change in doing carillos.

I heard from one reputable builder that has seen the 2016 motor with ~1000 miles have rod failure. I also wanted to be able to turn up the power but that also would void the warranty anyway.

I have 3000 miles on my 2016 MPI turbo viper with no issues.

^^^i just may be interested if it's a trail turbo

Good news guys!
image.jpeg

Great news! I talked to dealer at Big East Show and they hadn't heard about this. Hopefully dealers will get info soon before snow flies.

This is great news- now to figure out what to do with the 16 owners who had intentions to install the turbo but didnt do it right away. I tried to trade mine in for a sidewinder but the dealer told me because of the rod issues that my 16 was worth much less than a 2014 model. It would be nice to get the rods fixed so I could turbo my sled.

From what it looks like the 2017 part numbers are the same as the 2016- which would mean yamaha is agreeing that it was just a bad batch and a design change wasnt needed-which is good news to me.

How many would also trust their dealers to install the rods or should yamaha be sending sealed replacement engines?

Last edited:
This is great news- now to figure out what to do with the 16 owners who had intentions to install the turbo but didnt do it right away. I tried to trade mine in for a sidewinder but the dealer told me because of the rod issues that my 16 was worth much less than a 2014 model. It would be nice to get the rods fixed so I could turbo my sled.

From what it looks like the 2017 part numbers are the same as the 2016- which would mean yamaha is agreeing that it was just a bad batch and a design change wasnt needed which is good news to me
Right. Hopefully they identified the 16.5 motors which had the weak rods. Based on Hurricanes posts here it's not all the new motors and the 16's with old motors were also fine. The TSB will have the serial numbers.

Game changer here. I would half consider a Viper with turbo instead of ponying up for a SW. Still needs to be able to beat a turbo 1200 Doo though. :die:jump:

Back