• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2018 apex reactive syspenion system

How about a bigger gas tank??? Give us something useful instead of this gimmick. I don't ride all day wishing my front shocks were connected, I ride constantly worrying about gas with this stupid 9 gal tank.

The system works by allowing the shock to work the same under load in a corner as in a straight line. It also helps to keep the inside ski planted in a corner. I'd love to try one! Should be able to retrofit the system back down the line to past Apexs!

What I know about Yamaha Reactive Suspension System.

I have taken an interest in a mechanical shock absorber control that is now seeing application on the Yamaha Apex snowmobile. Very little information is available on this product but some information is available on a similar product for automotive application. This hydraulic control is a simple product with few parts but understanding how it works is not so simple. For those that are curious I hope this helps.

While cornering the front shock absorber control adds extra dampening and/or pre-charge force to resist roll. On a washboard trail the control does not add extra dampening in order to provide smooth ride. The control unit is also the remote reservoir for both front shock absorbers. The way it adds extra force is by resisting the oil displaced by the shock absorber rod. It only adds extra force to resist roll if one shock is retracting and the other is extending such as when the snowmobile enters a corner. No dampening force is added if both shocks are retracting at the same time such as on a speed bump or a washboard trail.

This control/remote reservoir is a cylinder having a pressurized gas chamber on one side of a free floating piston and two oil chambers on the other side. Each of the two oil chambers is plumbed to each front shock absorber. The gas chamber opposes both oil chambers and provides the pre-charge for both shocks. Key to the special control is a orifice located in a passage between the oil chambers. This orifice will resist flow between the shocks to resist the leaning of the vehicle when initiating a quick turn. The flow only occurs when one shock is retracting and the other is extending (turn initiation). Also under this condition the retracting shock (outside shock) will see extra extend force from the gas pressure. When both shocks are retracting (speed bump) no flow and no extra dampening force will occur.

The attach simplified drawing reflects the product developed for the automotive application. The second shock absorber is not shown. The snowmobile product appears to have adjustment knobs to tune the extra dampening of each shock and a selector valve to bypass the orifice that resists leaning of the snowmobile. This bypass valve is described as a mountain valve. Of course all this control can be done electrically but with vulnerable wires, black box complexity and control delay.

Attachments

• 3851821F-CFA0-4CF2-83AF-995E57836730.png
    3851821F-CFA0-4CF2-83AF-995E57836730.png
    184.4 KB · Views: 119
What I know about Yamaha Reactive Suspension System.

I have taken an interest in a mechanical shock absorber control that is now seeing application on the Yamaha Apex snowmobile. Very little information is available on this product but some information is available on a similar product for automotive application. This hydraulic control is a simple product with few parts but understanding how it works is not so simple. For those that are curious I hope this helps.

While cornering the front shock absorber control adds extra dampening and/or pre-charge force to resist roll. On a washboard trail the control does not add extra dampening in order to provide smooth ride. The control unit is also the remote reservoir for both front shock absorbers. The way it adds extra force is by resisting the oil displaced by the shock absorber rod. It only adds extra force to resist roll if one shock is retracting and the other is extending such as when the snowmobile enters a corner. No dampening force is added if both shocks are retracting at the same time such as on a speed bump or a washboard trail.

This control/remote reservoir is a cylinder having a pressurized gas chamber on one side of a free floating piston and two oil chambers on the other side. Each of the two oil chambers is plumbed to each front shock absorber. The gas chamber opposes both oil chambers and provides the pre-charge for both shocks. Key to the special control is a orifice located in a passage between the oil chambers. This orifice will resist flow between the shocks to resist the leaning of the vehicle when initiating a quick turn. The flow only occurs when one shock is retracting and the other is extending (turn initiation). Also under this condition the retracting shock (outside shock) will see extra extend force from the gas pressure. When both shocks are retracting (speed bump) no flow and no extra dampening force will occur.

The attach simplified drawing reflects the product developed for the automotive application. The second shock absorber is not shown. The snowmobile product appears to have adjustment knobs to tune the extra dampening of each shock and a selector valve to bypass the orifice that resists leaning of the snowmobile. This bypass valve is described as a mountain valve. Of course all this control can be done electrically but with vulnerable wires, black box complexity and control delay.

Thanks that was helpful.

I am shocked at the negative and naïve responses to a minimal weight change suspension refinement of the APEX with the goal of refining an already great trail sled. They are not trying to make the APEX a light weight sno cross sled or a deep snow / mountain sled just refine what it is already great at - trail riding. Hey if you don't like Apex's or Yamaha maybe you shouldn't read and Post on the " Yamaha Apex General Talk" Forum - think about it.

Thanks that was helpful.

I am shocked at the negative and naïve responses to a minimal weight change suspension refinement of the APEX with the goal of refining an already great trail sled. They are not trying to make the APEX a light weight sno cross sled or a deep snow / mountain sled just refine what it is already great at - trail riding. Hey if you don't like Apex's or Yamaha maybe you shouldn't read and Post on the " Yamaha Apex General Talk" Forum - think about it.

This has become the biggest problem with the Apex! Sad really as Yamaha and the RX motor is the one that started the whole jump to four strokes by all the brands! Poor misunderstood sled, misaligned, crapped upon by most, yet through it all its continued to do what it does best, mile after mile, after mile! Make Apex lovers smile! Best trail sled Yamaha has ever built and probably the last one as well. Thats a even larger SAD!

Like usual I agree with you Charley.
My Polaris friend summed it up best when after riding my Apex for a good stretch, may be 20-30 miles, he said, “those guys who say these sleds are to heavy to be fun have never ridden one”.
The arm pull and snap on mid to high range acceleration is addicting and smile provoking. I can’t wait!

This has become the biggest problem with the Apex! Sad really as Yamaha and the RX motor is the one that started the whole jump to four strokes by all the brands! Poor misunderstood sled, misaligned, crapped upon by most, yet through it all its continued to do what it does best, mile after mile, after mile! Make Apex lovers smile! Best trail sled Yamaha has ever built and probably the last one as well. Thats a even larger SAD!

And thats why I purchased one this year :) I dont care what others say. I love the sled.

And thats why I purchased one this year :) I dont care what others say. I love the sled.
Yep me too! I keep looking at all OEMs new sleds and I can't find a better sled than my 2012 Apex XTX same with all my all my Apex buds. The Sidewinder is a sweet sled but no EPS and I don't need a 200hp + sled for twisty trails and UP sweepers. The 2o18 Apex does seem to be the best Apex ever built and all good things come to an end of a market cycle. For me I'm stuck until Yamaha or another OEM comes up with a 4s Apex replacement. If nothing new I will continue to buy used low mile Apex with EPS and keep them going until there is a replacement. I wonder if Yamaha is aware or cares about all the low hanging fruit for an Apex clean sheet sled update and all the revenue it can generate?

I agree. A absolutely love my apex.
I bought a viper because i needed the updated seating position because of lower back issues.
I hung on to the apex for a spare sled and usually ride it once a year
With that said, even though i find the viper ergonomically perfect for me, i have never really been happy with my viper. But each time i jump on my apex, i can not wipe the grin off my face.

Amer snow show explained it say when you are turning fast is does not let the light ski fall lower so keeps cg lower and help ski lift on comers

I wonder how hard to rebuild or durability of hoses? What do you think Cannondale27?
It will be something like the Cat handlebar mounted center shock length adjuster and the linked rear shocks they had back then. I could get those tight which required absolutely no air in hoses. Have a few tricks up my sleeve! No problem.

Also will be interesting to see who removes the swaybar first. Like said earlier a sled with no swaybar is amazing in the bumps in corners especially. May require some tuning to make it work but really has some great potential.

Back