• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2021 LTX Center spring swap

58E18A89-757A-4E14-BAB1-2DA05A60EA48.jpeg
I just bought a stingray spring for my 17 LTX-LE, I mean what else is there?
The original dual spring will damage the shock body. That plastic coupler/slider between the dual spring will wear a portion of your threads, and the shock body!

Another fact about that shock. Must change out that bottom shaft after 2 seasons. That aluminum solid shaft will wear on the shock eye spot. My buds 17 RTX was worn so bad that it damaged the eye on his shock. Turned it egg shape and had to have components replaced pin that shock. I am replacing again this season. It will be my third counting the original.
My shock is out being rebuilt otherwise I would take a pic of the wear area caused by that factory dual spring set up.

I took some OD and ID measurements of the two springs for comparison. Actually 3 springs.

Stingray 2 1/2” OD 1 13/16 ID
Large stock 2 5/8” OD. 1 15/16 ID
Small stock 2 1/4” OD 1 7/8 ID
Stingray is shorter then original set up.
And measurements are done with tape measure, nothing too critical, just observing!

Edited large shock ID from 5/16 to correct of 15/16.

Attachments

• FE06F04A-8EA9-43F8-84C3-44C9AD235796.jpeg
    FE06F04A-8EA9-43F8-84C3-44C9AD235796.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 104
  • E8EB4C9E-5FB0-4729-AB2D-59A5BB069BEF.jpeg
    E8EB4C9E-5FB0-4729-AB2D-59A5BB069BEF.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 106

I am not a heavy rider (170ish), but I ride this thing like a Baja Trophy Truck. This swap is part of my process to get more transfer, and lighten up the front end, as the stock settings lend themselves to zero ski lift and a heavy front end feel. I need to carry the front end over the rough stuff, which in turn smashes the rear skid into the face of the mogul. The stock progressive spring blows through the first couple inches immediately and makes the rear end rebound violently, kicking up the whole rear of the sled. I have moved the rear pivots to the upper holes, done all the BOP upgrades to the rear suspension to bullet-proof her as much as possible. Will do more R&D as the season progresses.

sssdcdcSo what spring do you reccomend for a 250lb Ish rider? I have my skid out right now for other upgrades. I'm also running the snowtracker aggressives and I know the instructions says to take some pressure off it also.
Stingray

I tried the Stingray spring on my 15 Viper LTX and wasn't super impressed. I am sure it was better than the stock 135-lb spring on that sled but it still bottomed out a few times (and I am not a big guy... 185 lbs). I got a 17 Sidewinder LTX SE last February and kept the 90/250 stock center shock spring and it is a LOT better, IMO.

I tried the Stingray spring on my 15 Viper LTX and wasn't super impressed. I am sure it was better than the stock 135-lb spring on that sled but it still bottomed out a few times (and I am not a big guy... 185 lbs). I got a 17 Sidewinder LTX SE last February and kept the 90/250 stock center shock spring and it is a LOT better, IMO.
Yea I don't know the numbers on that raptor triple rate spring.. I felt the sit in drop/the first number(90) on that stocker was to weak.. everyone likes different levels of steering effort, bite in corners, etc.. That stocker spring @ 90 i bet is just about perfect at your weight..

Last edited:
040BF2E3-711B-4FE2-BA9B-8418F69E0317.jpeg

This is the wear I had under that coupler. Shock was replaced under warranty. Then got a straight rate spring from Cannondale and problem solved.

View attachment 163382
This is the wear I had under that coupler. Shock was replaced under warranty. Then got a straight rate spring from Cannondale and problem solved.
Yep, a well known problem with that dual spring. Mine is a longer wear pattern then yours, but not so deep!

My buddies was as deep as yours, but also a longer wear pattern!

That’s why I went with Stingray, hoping to avert more damage to my shock!

What straight Rate spring did you get from Cannondale, if you don’t mind my asking?

Looks like you rode in some snirt and rocky conditions.

After seeing that I think running the shock upside down is a good idea regardless. Less crap coming back from the track being so close then hit reservoir/head. Should provide easier access to 3 clicks adjuster being down close to the rails.

The rear shock is upside down might as well match?

After seeing that I think running the shock upside down is a good idea regardless. Less crap coming back from the track being so close then hit reservoir/head. Should provide easier access to 3 clicks adjuster being down close to the rails.

The rear shock is upside down might as well match?
Not so sure you can run it any other way??? I'm not used to clicker on middle shock, but i thought it had to be run(clicker shock) "upside down" as shown by the pic i posted ?

Yea I don't know the numbers on that stingray spring.. I felt the sit in drop/the first number(90) on that stocker was to weak.. everyone likes different levels of steering effort, bite in corners, etc.. That stocker spring @ 90 i bet is just about perfect at your weight..
The Stingray spring is a single-rate 160-lb spring. May be better for making the front end light but a 160-lb rate isn't enough to keep it from bottoming out in the big stuff.

The Stingray spring is a single-rate 160-lb spring. May be better for making the front end light but a 160-lb rate isn't enough to keep it from bottoming out in the big stuff.
160 okay.. Yea I usually ride early morning trails and they groom EVERY night. Not much bottoming ! I could see that 160 being a bit soft on rough stuff.. I just had 8 injections in my back so you can guess how I ride when things get bad..

Back