• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2022 Power Surge Cancellations

Polaris? lll handling? You’ve got to be kidding. They have the best front end in the business and are well known for their excellent handling characteristics.
I think the new Polaris 850 assault is one of the nicest looking sleds out there, they do have the best front end in the business and the rear is very close to Doo's for the ride, Polaris seem to be focused on two strokes but if they come out with a 4 stoke it would be a big hp turbo, you may see a turbo 2 stroke trail sled soon.

they do have the best front end in the business
How did you feel about how it handled at higher speeds? Higher speed cornering? Did it seem to push in the corners? Did your knees hit the cowl like the Cat? They seem to shove you even farther ahead. Did you feel like the inside ski has excessive lift?

Polaris and Cat seem to copy each other all the time. I could see Cat chasing after the 2-stroke turbo market. The biggest market and interest is mountain riding and watch any video and the 2-stroke turbos are light, nimble and powerful. The sidewinder can only choose one and that is powerful. Sure, it’ll be more reliable but that market doesn’t care.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I’m getting that Yamaha is waiting things out with ice engines. They were burned so bad on emissions when they thought 2-stroke sleds would be legislated out of existence then they weren’t. If I were an OEM, I would be investing R&D into EV’s. Yamaha has experience with EV’s, they’ve got a legitimate EV trials bike that competes in an EV circuit and it is rumored they are testing an electric YZ motocross bike.

Polaris will likely beat them to the market with EV technology but Yamaha’s will likely be way more refined. Check out this small start up company and their new EV dirt bike. To me, what’s not to like?
That’s an excellent observation that Yamaha could be waiting for the EV revolution before they build their own sleds again. Meantime the Textron agreement will do. The EV performance has been excellent for recreational vehicles including boats and in time EV will take over snowmobiles. Largest problem is charge range and charge infrastructure especially in rural areas. From what I’ve seen recently is a skateboard like battery construction for cars then bend plastic anyway you like over the skateboard frame. This could be very profitable for the snow biz. Weight will be a problem but technology will figure that out. Yamaha has to be heavily into electric motors for long term survival. Doo recently released an all electric pontoon boat line that isn’t that expensive and definitely forward thinking.

How did you feel about how it handled at higher speeds? Higher speed cornering? Did it seem to push in the corners? Did your knees hit the cowl like the Cat? They seem to shove you even farther ahead. Did you feel like the inside ski has excessive lift?

LOL, sorry anyone questioned your expert opinion, god willing nothing compares to the pro cross the best skid most problem free and handling sled ever made, all this time I thought Polaris was second in market share, hmm, the numbers must be wrong, maybe you should change your TY name to genius.

That’s an excellent observation that Yamaha could be waiting for the EV revolution before they build their own sleds again. Meantime the Textron agreement will do. The EV performance has been excellent for recreational vehicles including boats and in time EV will take over snowmobiles. Largest problem is charge range and charge infrastructure especially in rural areas. From what I’ve seen recently is a skateboard like battery construction for cars then bend plastic anyway you like over the skateboard frame. This could be very profitable for the snow biz. Weight will be a problem but technology will figure that out. Yamaha has to be heavily into electric motors for long term survival. Doo recently released an all electric pontoon boat line that isn’t that expensive and definitely forward thinking.
I was researching Yamaha and was surprised to learn how into EV’s they’ve been over the years. They are getting big into e-bikes and have actually been making them since the late 80’s I believe. Here is their trials bike, it looks totally legit.

I‘m not too worried about the range and charge times as they will make advancements in that to bring EV’s on par with gas. They have to, or the technology just won’t be widely accepted. I always love the argument anti EV guys use about running out of charge in the middle of nowhere? I’m like, how’s that any different than running out of gas? The KTM Freride dirt bike uses swappable batteries similar to a cordless drill. To me, the most exciting prospect is a remote property set up with solar panels. You could charge your sled on site without needing to pack in tons of gas. For guys who tour ride, the charge up times will have to be dramatically increased and fast charge infrastructure will need to be put in place. But, right now, for my riding, an EV sled would work just fine. It’d get plugged in every night and would have the range for what I’d typically do.

Tiaga already offers a sled that’d work for me but I’m not ready to be an early adopter from some super small company that may or may not be around in 2 years.

couple things, good luck with a battery sleds...batteries don't last long in the cold and ever notice Tesla cars going down the highway...they ride at the same speed all the time, its to save battery charge life. Let's face it, when were on our sleds we are constantly changing speeds and battery sleds won't like that..solar panels won't help there lol.
I have a BRP Evinrude e-tec outboard on one of my boats..dare I say I love the engine, quiet, powerful and very dependable over the years. they stopped making them, just like that gone!! I believe it was emissions that was the demise but I could be wrong. Don't be surprised if the tree huggers come after the 2 stroke sleds.
I've been working on a 98 Polaris Indy 500, it had been sitting on the mountain where we sled for the past 5 years...it was my brothers..to gain some practical knowledge on working on sleds I brought it back to life...it is running great but what a coal burner it is. Bottom line I think Yamaha is doing the right thing with 4 strokes..never know when the EPA is going to shut down engines that burn too much oil. Joe

Every thing you said here is true, but i came off three decades of doos, so i felt right at home!! The procross is one sweet sled bumper to bumper, flat and stable, smooth, can getter to be doo like when i treat her nasty!

Ugh!!! I hope not. The last brand I would buy. ill handling machines.
Not sure about the ones you rode, but i can tell you from last years experience that the REST of the manufactures need to catch up cuz the VR1 is AMAZING!!!!!
I still don't want a Polaris or a 2-stroke, but i can admit who's best & who's not.
And from my experience everyone else is not

couple things, good luck with a battery sleds...batteries don't last long in the cold and ever notice Tesla cars going down the highway...they ride at the same speed all the time, its to save battery charge life. Let's face it, when were on our sleds we are constantly changing speeds and battery sleds won't like that..solar panels won't help there lol.
I have a BRP Evinrude e-tec outboard on one of my boats..dare I say I love the engine, quiet, powerful and very dependable over the years. they stopped making them, just like that gone!! I believe it was emissions that was the demise but I could be wrong. Don't be surprised if the tree huggers come after the 2 stroke sleds.
I've been working on a 98 Polaris Indy 500, it had been sitting on the mountain where we sled for the past 5 years...it was my brothers..to gain some practical knowledge on working on sleds I brought it back to life...it is running great but what a coal burner it is. Bottom line I think Yamaha is doing the right thing with 4 strokes..never know when the EPA is going to shut down engines that burn too much oil. Joe
I’ve never driven or even sat in a Tesla so I can’t comment on that. But, my cordless tools work fine in cold weather. The DeWalt set I bought in ‘10 still works fine and has needed zero maintenance. Yes, the batteries don’t last as long in cold weather as in the summer but Taiga circulates coolant around the battery to warm it up and keep it at its optimum temp.

I agree, the EV tech isn’t there yet but unless there is some break through in producing hydrogen for cheap, battery electric is the way things are going to go. The products currently available are getting pretty decent and will only get much, much better.

LOL, sorry anyone questioned your expert opinion, god willing nothing compares to the pro cross the best skid most problem free and handling sled ever made, all this time I thought Polaris was second in market share, hmm, the numbers must be wrong, maybe you should change your TY name to genius.
woah there.
I just asked about your experience on the sled. You said it had the best front end and I wondered what your opinion was about the other aspects of it. You seemed to speak from a point of experience.
No need to jump ugly, or go on a rant.

As good as the Matryx front end is, i will agree that a heavier front end at high speed is much more stable or at least FEELS like it is.
I was never afraid to run full speed on any Apex or Sidewinder.
Both the 850's made me a tad uneasy.

Both the 850's made me a tad uneasy.
Exactly. High speed sweepers were particularly unnerving. The huge amount of body roll made it feel like it was going to roll over. All 4 I rode felt the same.

I’ve never driven or even sat in a Tesla so I can’t comment on that. But, my cordless tools work fine in cold weather. The DeWalt set I bought in ‘10 still works fine and has needed zero maintenance. Yes, the batteries don’t last as long in cold weather as in the summer but Taiga circulates coolant around the battery to warm it up and keep it at its optimum temp.

I agree, the EV tech isn’t there yet but unless there is some break through in producing hydrogen for cheap, battery electric is the way things are going to go. The products currently available are getting pretty decent and will only get much, much better.
My riding friend has a Tesla, totally awesome car, but in winter he has to stop in Portland to recharge his car for 45 minutes to make it up to Bethel. In the summer no problem, that's what I base my opinion on batteries not doing well in the cold. I didn't realize the battery in the new sled was being heated to keep it working at peak...certainly the engineering is getting amazing...Hydrogen would solve allot of problems with producing energy for sure. Oh, my buddy pulls his ATV with his Tesla lol...quite a sight to see!!. Joe

Wow this thread has veered off, anyway I find it
Interesting how US preordered sled are 100%
Delivered and us Canucks get only 91% delivery of “Verified “ orders. So if you weren’t home when the phone call came you weren’t VERIFIED??
So I wonder what the actual percentage would be. ??
Have to say I’m completely disappointed at
How YAMAHA has treated these cancellations of
GUARANTEED DELIVERY sleds.
What is a Yamaha customer expected to do
For 2023 Preorder????

Polaris and Cat seem to copy each other all the time. I could see Cat chasing after the 2-stroke turbo market. The biggest market and interest is mountain riding and watch any video and the 2-stroke turbos are light, nimble and powerful. The sidewinder can only choose one and that is powerful. Sure, it’ll be more reliable but that market doesn’t care.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I’m getting that Yamaha is waiting things out with ice engines. They were burned so bad on emissions when they thought 2-stroke sleds would be legislated out of existence then they weren’t. If I were an OEM, I would be investing R&D into EV’s. Yamaha has experience with EV’s, they’ve got a legitimate EV trials bike that competes in an EV circuit and it is rumored they are testing an electric YZ motocross bike.

Polaris will likely beat them to the market with EV technology but Yamaha’s will likely be way more refined. Check out this small start up company and their new EV dirt bike. To me, what’s not to like?
Remember Slot Cars. Lol! Cool Technology. But where has the sound of the motor gone. I will never forget when I bought my Wife a 2016 Vector. She asked if there was anyway to make it quieter?

Back