• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2023 Sidewinder MTX

TURBLUE

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder MTX
Jaret & Randy had a very informative vlog for the mountain riders. Randy(Climbmax) has been awesome for Yamaha and the snowmobile industry. Very passionate about sledding and Yamahas sleds.

I was thinking why I keep getting drawn back to riding a Yamaha. I grew up on a snojet sst 440. Then Dad bought a new Yamaha enticer340. Man we drove that sled till the skis had Saskatchewan stubble coming through the center of them. Lol.

1995 vmax 600 was my first sled I bought myself. 2005/06 season bought a apex with mcx. Something about the 4 stroke that’s addictive….That sound and acceleration….riding something different then the masses. I think I really enjoy a challenge…riding a 4 stroke in the tight trees is different and not as forgiving but it’s a blast. Also had nytro, viper, sidewinder, fix phazer, phazer 2, snosport…

In between the Yamaha’s… I tried Polaris, skidoo and cat over the years, but always end up coming back to Yamaha.
I’ve never had a engine issue with a boosted 4 strokes. When I was riding the 2 strokes hard I always had that doubt they may not hold together. lol. Some sometimes that feeling was correct. Never had that feeling riding a 4 stroke….even with this viper at 9000kms..

I do think the yamaha Arctic cat partnership has been good for yamaha. The handling of the viper and sidewinder is great imo. It would be nice to see a updated chassis built specifically for the 998 Genesis engine. I’m guessing it wouldn’t be that hard to lose some weight with refinements.

Anyway hopefully they bring back the mtx back. Thoughts?

Instagram post

Last edited:

Now that they have a Mountain Max in the line up to adapt to the market and give the western dealers a product that’s a easy sell…would there be any reason why the sidewinder mtx couldn’t be in the line up again?

The used price of the sidewinder mtx suggests to me that there is a demand for the sled…thoughts?

Rumor has it Cat may have a 998T Riot next year. I know it isn't a full-on mountain sled, but it is something mor than a trail runner.

I think if the next mtx was to be the mountain max SL with the 998T (minus the battery removal of course), it could get some renewed interest in the 4stroke mountain scene. If they were also to take some notes from the ice age elevation kit, drive belt kit and a lighter exhaust it could be even better.

Does anyone know from a mtx to xtx the rear suspension mounting points are they different? Or will a 162 skid fit ? Also is the chaincase the same as the 17 mtx and will fit 3” track with different drivers ?

Does anyone know from a mtx to xtx the rear suspension mounting points are they different? Or will a 162 skid fit ? Also is the chaincase the same as the 17 mtx and will fit 3” track with different drivers ?
Mounting points in the tunnel are the same. Difference in skid length, is from where the rear scissor arm attaches to the rail and rearward. If your long tracking a XTX to 162", pretty much just need the longer rear tunnel half, longer bumper and the longer skid.
It is possible to use longer rails, but Cat changed swing arm lengths, rail shape as well as some front skid shock lengths over the years. So it's possible to have a parts miss-match if you don't use the correct parts for a specific rail(s). Usually it's just easier to swap the complete skid.

To get a 3" track to work, you do have to go with smaller drivers. Or convert to a latter drop/rolled chain case.

I figured the mounting point in the tunnel would be the same. So I could just throw a 162 skid in and sell the shorter one. Sucks that they stopped offering the 162 in 2019. Cool thx.

Back