• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2024 Yamaha snowmobile releases, March 14, 2023

Quote of the snowcheck season reviews. When you can't talk about new tech, new seating position, new features, but are trying your best to remain positive about the announcement

1678894289698.png

My suspicion is the 4-stroke Yamaha motors will die out in the Pro-cross chassis. I’ve watched numerous videos on the Cataylist and mass centralization was at the forefront of that design. Everything was made to be as light and compact as possible. I don’t see Cat changing that sled around to shoehorn a giant, heavy triple into it. Plus they have patent drawings of a turbo charged 2-stroke. I suspect Yamaha will keep offering the Sidewinder for as long as they sell what, 100 or 200 of them per season? I’ve never seen one in person. Textron likely has a bigger emphasis on keeping Yamaha as a supplier for their side by side and youth sled motors.

Yamaha has a long history in the dirt bike and ATV world of selling the same machine for year and years with no updates before finally dropping it. That’s the future I see for the sidewinder.

My suspicion is the 4-stroke Yamaha motors will die out in the Pro-cross chassis. I’ve watched numerous videos on the Cataylist and mass centralization was at the forefront of that design. Everything was made to be as light and compact as possible. I don’t see Cat changing that sled around to shoehorn a giant, heavy triple into it. Plus they have patent drawings of a turbo charged 2-stroke. I suspect Yamaha will keep offering the Sidewinder for as long as they sell what, 100 or 200 of them per season? I’ve never seen one in person. Textron likely has a bigger emphasis on keeping Yamaha as a supplier for their side by side and youth sled motors.

Yamaha has a long history in the dirt bike and ATV world of selling the same machine for year and years with no updates before finally dropping it. That’s the future I see for the sidewinder.
Doo has a revamped chassis (wide body)to use it’s 4 stroke in. Maybe Cat keeps this chassis for 4 strokes and uses the new chassis for 2 strokes?

Maybe we can get this to 100 pages post release if everyone chimes in on their disappointment! Regardless, they'll sell every sled they can get Cat to make for them so there's no downside, no risk, no waisted effort looking at it from the corporate side. A relationship like this could drag on for quite a while. But Cat can also sell every sled they make so making clones for Yamaha doesn't make as much sense as it did in the beginning of the relationship. I think eventually Cat shows Yamaha the door and they turn to Poo or Doo for a new partnership or just hang it up. At this point the one thing that could get me excited and has some chance of happening would be a new motor from Yamaha which would get everyone's attention.

Looks like the graphics department forgot to put the L in triple.
I guess we can call it a 137 trip.

If this sled had powersteering on it I would be ordering one tomorrow as soon as ordering opens up!

View attachment 172076

Curious as to why on earth you'd want a Viper that struggles to run 90 MPH after riding a sled that does 90 at 1/8 throttle?
Is the Vipers ECU still programed by Cat? I know these sleds had issues a plenty with the Cat programing and I never did understand Yamaha allowing this to happen.

Why not a Winder with EPS? They are only a few dollars more than the viper.

Curious as to why on earth you'd want a Viper that struggles to run 90 MPH after riding a sled that does 90 at 1/8 throttle?
Is the Vipers ECU still programed by Cat? I know these sleds had issues a plenty with the Cat programing and I never did understand Yamaha allowing this to happen.

Why not a Winder with EPS? They are only a few dollars more than the viper.
This would be a new sled for my wife.
Currently she is riding a 2016 Vector xtx.
She won't upgrade unless it has powersteering.

I have to admit I'm surprised the Viper didn't get PS.
I know I was told from a very good source that they just did a three year model plan, but you gotta wonder did they just lay everybody off last year except the graphics department.....?

Well, looks like she's getting a new EPS Winder! Only a few grand more and a much better machine.

I wished my wife still rode. She used to hang right with the boys, but now won't go anymore because she hates the cold.

On one of Jared's sledtalk, they had on one engineer that resigned with yamaha after they closed the r&d location in minoqua. He must be doing something.

She is a trail cruiser.
Those are my slow days when we ride together.
As long as she wants to get out and ride sleds I will ride her pace with her.
The days she doesn't ride we burn some gas!

This is who I was talking about. Wonder what his new job really is? Hard to believe he isn't working with cat on something. Nothing in the last few years really needed any engineering other than the stryke ski and eps.

Back