• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

4 stroke starting

OST

Expert
cannondale27 said:
Maybe the "normal" 20 cranks to start is taking its toll.

So, my sled is quite normal after all. 15 to 20 cranks on a cold start is the usual for me.

My buddy says this is just not right. Fuel injected 4 strokes should start instantly after 2 or 3 cranks according to him.

Anyone have anything to add?
How many cranks for the other Yammie 4 stroke sleds to start?

How old id the gas in your machine? And the oil to? Mine at the beginning of the season with it running on a lil older gas i took 5-8 cranks but after all the old gas was burnt it runs after 3 cranks.

Mine starts usually 5-8 cranks with a few blips of the throttle to help it. Temps range from 0'C to -30'C here. I also agree that fuel injected machines should start quicker. My ole 96 Mach 1 would start second pull with 3 pumps of the plug fouler in -30 temps. There is also supposed to be a cold start update done.

The strange starting seems to be unique to the Phazer. I have heard some theorys on why. One is that the computer must see oil pressure before it will fire the injectors. One thing I know for sure is that the sound of the starters on all of the other four strokes is totally different. It sounds like the starter speed is slower on the Phazer than other models. Have to do some research on this but at any rate it shouldn't take that long for it to fire up (20 cranks). I would say the MTX typically on a cold start takes 4-8 turns to fire (3-6 sec.). When I think about it my Apex is probably 3-6 but it seems to occur in about a quarter the time.

There is a cold start update for this.New ecu and some other parts.

Yamaha says 20 cranks is normal at cold start.That was thier response when I asked for that cold start update the Canadians all got.If its stored in garage which is heated it will fire in about 10 rotations.Outside its 15-20.

80h4thephaze said:
How old id the gas in your machine? And the oil to? Mine at the beginning of the season with it running on a lil older gas i took 5-8 cranks but after all the old gas was burnt it runs after 3 cranks.

Gas is new.
Oil was changed at start of season by dealer.

I do not nave the cold start update done yet. Dealer did not have parts for this in November when I had my service done.

Sled is stored in a unheated shed.
I have counted the rotations many times to start ... 12 to 20 seems pretty normal when cold. I have never touched the throttle to start it.
Temps for my area range from 0 to -15 normally.

I have to make an appointment to get the updates done soon.

Where would I find a list of all the updates that are required?
Just want to ensure the dealer has done, or will do them all.

Thanks for the feedback.

;)!

My 08 RTX starts fantastic....3-5 cranks everytime, but the coldest start so far has only been -23C. If it's colder I plug it in..!

Can't complain.....

Its quite embarasing when all your cat buddies do the typical cat 2 pull starts and I'm sitting there cranking away for 20 sec before I start. Once I get it started for the day it turns over with only 1-2 seconds of starting. Its just the first start of the day thats nerve racking

thetruck454 said:
Its quite embarasing when all your cat buddies do the typical cat 2 pull starts and I'm sitting there cranking away for 20 sec before I start. Once I get it started for the day it turns over with only 1-2 seconds of starting. Its just the first start of the day thats nerve racking

Yeah, it's a little weired but when they're playing around with their "smart" valves (their arm will be shoulder deep into the fuel tank, that's why they have such big gas caps) you can sit back and laugh. Then the rest of the day ask them why they smell like gas. As I said I think it's just the nature of this engine. As long as it starts who cares, if anything it helps prime the engine and circulate oil before she see's more than 200 rpm.

Got Apex RTX? Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:55 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The strange starting seems to be unique to the Phazer. I have heard some theorys on why. One is that the computer must see oil pressure before it will fire the injectors. "

Don't know if the Yam have to see oil pressure but I have a pair of 430 hp diesel Volvo's in one of our boats which will roll each cylinder before computer will allow it to start.

My brother-in-law has a 07 gt with starter problems. My dealer told me same thing about oil pressure. There needs to be sufficiant oil pressure in moter before they will start. I know his has always struggled to turn over compared to my apex. He started a new 08 for me in his showroom and it turned over just as slow as the used 07. He said just way they are. I could bet your going to here a lot more issues with these starters in the future.

Back