• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Intermittent starting issues on 2017 Winder

beanie

Extreme
Hard starting ,long cranking on my Sidewinder. Starts normal sometime other just cranks and nothing . Fresh fuel, new plugs , new battery new starter so far . Any ideas where to go from here besides the dealer ? Always run up to temp when it does start ,and runs normal after start-up. Help Please!!

Hard starting ,long cranking on my Sidewinder. Starts normal sometime other just cranks and nothing . Fresh fuel, new plugs , new battery new starter so far . Any ideas where to go from here besides the dealer ? Always run up to temp when it does start ,and runs normal after start-up. Help Please!!
Run some fuel injector cleaner through it. At least once a year I run a can of seafoam in a full tank through mine and just take it real easy on that tank of fuel. Its worth a try.

Are you sure it’s getting plenty of fuel from the pump?
Pump was changed last year. and it has a steady diet of Seafoam year round . Do I need a fuel pressure gauge to determine correct flow ?

Fuel pressure gauge will determine if proper fuel pressure is present. If the pump is that new it should be okay. Injectors are dirty or valve clearance check in order. Not that the valve clearance has been a issue with this motor, but it can cause weird starting issues. Especially really cold starting if the valves are slightly tight/not within spec. Fuel injectors would have to be removed and cleaned professionally. Most of the fuel injector cleaners don't fully clean them, as well as removing and having them professionally done. One of the better cleaners IMO is the GM stuff as far as adding to fuel tank. But still not like removing them.

1709581423588.png

IMO,
1. Fuel pressure? Stock is 43 key on engine not running.
2. Do resistance check on coils. 1.19 to 1.61 ohms.
3. Fuel injectors dirty/partially plugged? Must remove and send to someone who has an ultrasonic cleaner to restore to new condition. Must also be spray tested to verify pattern.
4. Engine compression? Stock is 177.8 psi. Engine cold.
5. Engine (and ALL) electrical grounds. Make SURE all are clean and solid.
6. Spark plugs? Stock plug is NGK CR8EIX. Plugs properly torqued into head?
7. Lots of additives in gas (Sea Foam, Stabil, etc)?
8. Filter in tank - strainer

IMO,
3. Fuel injectors dirty/partially plugged? Must remove and send to someone who has an ultrasonic cleaner to restore to new condition. Must also be spray tested to verify pattern.
Thanks for all the ideas. Now do I need a special gauge to determine fuel pressure or will an automotive one work ? Difficult to remove injectors?

IMO,
I've heard about removing the injectors for proper cleaning and testing. So may I ask What is the nominal price for cleaning and testing a set of 3, 998 Fuel Injectors? Just now, a one time search for new shows $128 for a set of 3 injectors, and each O ring is $19 !

If you have 16.5K miles then i would recommend having a good look at adjusting your valves.
My experience with Yamahas is that when they become hard to start when the motor is cold but then once they warm up it goes back to normal and….it’s not the usual suspects as mentioned above then it is the valves.
I cannot tell you how many hours I wasted going over the “usual” suspects for this condition it was the valves.

Please let us know what you find.

If you have 16.5K miles then i would recommend having a good look at adjusting your valves.
My experience with Yamahas is that when they become hard to start when the motor is cold but then once they warm up it goes back to normal and….it’s not the usual suspects as mentioned above then it is the valves.
I cannot tell you how many hours I wasted going over the “usual” suspects for this condition it was the valves.

Agree.. Dirty Injectors is a good possible also with this many miles.

Thanks for all the ideas. Now do I need a special gauge to determine fuel pressure or will an automotive one work ? Difficult to remove injectors?
Auto one is fine.
Pretty easy to get injectors out. Take out the fuel rail w injectors still attached.

It's one thing to check clearance on the 998. It's a whole different job to change it. It's a major job. Have to remove cams. To do that, you have to loosen cam chain. To do that you have to get it out which involves being able to raise up back of engine and all that involves (unhook exhaust, unhook intake side, loosen alum brace by clutches, etc, etc.). At the end of the day, it has to be correct for engine to run well. My 2017 service manual says to check if every 25,000 miles. I understand later years of 998, they recommended something less than that.

Back