• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

-45 hard starting

I used decaf once and it's been fine! .......just kidding lol. I really have not had it happen to me but i do carry extra relays.. We needed one time for a buddys sled before i had extras and took one out of my f250 and it got us by.

ok pulled the relays off my big bear 400 and gonna try them on my ride see if it does work and if it does will let you know

around here at that temp it is mostly yammahas out running around here. i usually end up going for a ride at -40 + winchill at least once a season. usually stay on the trails in the woods on those days as the lakes can be brutally cold.

snoman said:
Hey fellas my 07 apex rtx er having hard time starting every time the ride cools off and i have to use a hair dryer to warm up the relays or pour hot cup of coffee out in middle of no where. Whats the best solution to end this problem change the relays ? Kinda tired of doing this to start up the motor this ways while others start up no prob. Need input and happy safe year years all.
Where are these relays you're talking about? And which relays are you referring to? Starter, fuel pump? Sorry to sound dumb.

Its the fuel pump relay people are talking about. In my 08 apex they were by your left foot behind the clutches. should be the third one in. In certains temperatures it freezes up and wont turn on your fuel pump. Its happened to me 4 times, always around the -22 to -27 deg C temperature. I've ridden at -35 before but the relay never game me a problem. Think its more to do with humidity then temperatures.

Just added a colant heater (aka block heater) - for $50 Cdn ($35US) its a good investment for those very cold days. Not sure how the exchange works - think Yamaha is still stuck in the 90's!!!!

SRX Boy said:
Just added a colant heater (aka block heater) - for $50 Cdn ($35US) its a good investment for those very cold days. Not sure how the exchange works - think Yamaha is still stuck in the 90's!!!!
How about the starter relay under the airbox, 5LW-81940-02-00 ? Put a new one in and rode this weekend, not real cold for here -5F. I was stranded twice. Pretty disappointing...
Will the hot water trick work on that one too? I allways keep hot broth with me in a thermos. Might have to smell like beef soup for a few miles. Changing that one out at -30 isn't too easy. .. Any other suggestions?

Around here we have the same problem with relays, I use to carry a spear in my pocket but another way is when you turn the key and hear a click give it a small tap with a wrench. The new relays have the same problem as before so my dealer gave me one from a Polaris and never had that problem after.

tips on preventing the fuel pump relay from freezing

had this happen to me only once while riding in cochrane ontario. temperature was minus 30 deg c. I took a hair dryer to the left side of the tunnel for about 5 minutes and the relay worked, I never had a problem once the machine is warmed up while riding all day. I think because I put my sleds in my enclosed trailer the humidity from the snow melting off the tunnel condensed in the trailer and the relay got frozen. now I clear all the snow from the track before loading my machines and also let them sit for a couple of minutes before I load them. great time to take off your riding gear and let your vehicle warm up. Next I load up the sleds, clamp them down and close the lid. never had the problem occur again, even in cold weather. anyway hope this helps. I pretty sure its moisture getting in the relay causing the problem and then freezing. putting a cover directly on the machine while its still warm will most likely cause the same problem, I think letting the sled cool down for a couple of minutes and allowing some of the moisture to re-freeze or evaporate really helps in preventing the relay from freezing up. anyway hope this helps

Re: tips on preventing the fuel pump relay from freezing

rx1 man 04 said:
had this happen to me only once while riding in cochrane ontario. temperature was minus 30 deg c. I took a hair dryer to the left side of the tunnel for about 5 minutes and the relay worked, I never had a problem once the machine is warmed up while riding all day. I think because I put my sleds in my enclosed trailer the humidity from the snow melting off the tunnel condensed in the trailer and the relay got frozen. now I clear all the snow from the track before loading my machines and also let them sit for a couple of minutes before I load them. great time to take off your riding gear and let your vehicle warm up. Next I load up the sleds, clamp them down and close the lid. never had the problem occur again, even in cold weather. anyway hope this helps. I pretty sure its moisture getting in the relay causing the problem and then freezing. putting a cover directly on the machine while its still warm will most likely cause the same problem, I think letting the sled cool down for a couple of minutes and allowing some of the moisture to re-freeze or evaporate really helps in preventing the relay from freezing up. anyway hope this helps
I have no idea where these are located on my Vector (Same as the Apex?) but is it possible to add dielectric grease to the connections to help with the moisture, or is that not possible?

Back