• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

4500 Mile Maintenance And Upgrades

Tbyrd

Expert
So it all started last season when my light weight Maverick track started to come apart. I Decided over the summer to upgrade my track to the Challenger 151 2.3 inch paddle. I knew this would be a good time to go through the sled since I would be putting it in the shop and tearing down to put the new track in. When I got the sled in the air I instantly found out my front a-arm bushings were shot due to the 1/2 inch back and forth slop in my a-arms. Of course my stearing had slop also so I ordered all the stearing bushings needed to tighten things up. We all know the stiffness of the rear suspension leave something to be desired so through a little hunting I found the x-click suspension blocks whitch give you a fourth position, what a difference they made! When pulling out drive axel found the sealed bearing on the clutch side was almost gone. It was comptetly dry but had no rust so I pulled out the seal,cleaned and regreased. Saved me about 75 bucks there, and a breakdown this winter. While I was replaceing my a-arm bushings I decided to drill and tap a-arms and install zerks so I wont have to take apart again. well worth it. While I had the a-arms off went ahead and sandblasted and painted with white epoxy Primer, to breake up the black up front and to take care of rust showing up. Also decided to wrap exhaust pipe from header to can. with Exhaust wrap. Here are some picks and will post the rest when I get the rest of my parts from Yamaha and complete the project.

Attachments

• IMG_3751.JPG
    IMG_3751.JPG
    496.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3746.JPG
    IMG_3746.JPG
    419.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3748.JPG
    IMG_3748.JPG
    327 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3749.JPG
    IMG_3749.JPG
    313.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3756.JPG
    IMG_3756.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3750.JPG
    IMG_3750.JPG
    338 KB · Views: 63

Nice i just powdercoated the entire front end of my sled, I have a question, how many miles are on your sled, mine has 1300 and the a-arms graphite type bushings were very tight and not loose at all.

DSCN0032.jpg

DSCN0033.jpg

DSCN0035.jpg

Nice lookin sled! I have 4500 miles on my mnt lite and my a-arms had the origanal plastic bushings from yamaha, Just now changing them. Probly should have done it last year at 2200 miles.

Yeah, my wifes sled at 2800 miles are so sloppy. I bleed yamaha blue, but I am a little unimpressed with the teflon bushings. I ordered aluminum/brass infused bushings from Hartman. Going to give those a try. $75 for a set. Also putting those on my FXNytro MTX

Just received and installed that 4-position X-click. That is a nice upgrade from the stock plastic junk. Having the additional setting is also going to be handy. Thanks for the tip.

Jon

So I finished the overhaul and am really pleased with the results. The 151, skins float plate, x-click adjuster block and 17 tooth top gear made this sled a whole new machine. Now I need to save my penny's for a turbo!

Attachments

• IMG_3786.JPG
    IMG_3786.JPG
    348.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3788.JPG
    IMG_3788.JPG
    452.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3797.JPG
    IMG_3797.JPG
    352.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3798.JPG
    IMG_3798.JPG
    314.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3821 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3821 (Large).JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 76
I live in Bristol Bay. I do most my riding in the Wood Tikchik State Park, 1.1 million Acres. Some realy nice riding.

I like the looks of the White front end. When you wrapped your exhaust, did you close both holes in the tunnel, or does it matter if the material gets wet?

I wrapped from where it goes 2 into 1 pipe all the way to the mufffler. No I did not close the front tunnel hole, and a little water never hurt anything. My headers on my truck are wrapped and they get wet so I'm not to worried.

ecopter said:
Just received and installed that 4-position X-click. That is a nice upgrade from the stock plastic junk. Having the additional setting is also going to be handy. Thanks for the tip.

Jon

Where do we get the X-Click Suspension Blocks? Tired of the wrench slipping and striking my knuckles while adjusting the stock plastic blocks.

Thanks,

Blocks

Where do we get the X-Click Suspension Blocks? Tired of the wrench slipping and striking my knuckles while adjusting the stock plastic blocks.

Thanks,[/quote]

Back