• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

4th starter going in now

Snow Flake 12

I am beyond frustrated and am looking for ANY advice on this I can get. I bought my 07 Phazer at the end of February 08. Since that time we have only been able to put 800 miles on this sled because it has spent more time in the shop than on the trail. Beyond all the service bulletin work done: the ECU unit, the cold start kit, the ball joints, etc., etc. we have had 3 starters replaced. The original starter had 791 miles on it before it went. However the last 2 starters have only had 4 miles a piece on them before they went bad. My sled is in the shop to have the 4th starter put in it and I don't have words to describe how angry I am with this situation. Even the mechanic at the dealer told us that he believes Yamaha builds a heck of a reliable sled, but the Phazer was very poorly designed/engineered. When in for the last starter (#2 bad, #3 going in) our dealer consulted Yamaha who suggested replacing the starter relay assembly as well. Quite obviously that didn't solve the problem because now she's in with #3 bad starter and #4 starter going in. There is no way I could've had 3 bad starters . No way. Something is causing them to burn out, especially with only 4 miles a piece on the last 2. Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone had the same problem and finally had it solved? Any help is greatly appreciated.
:rocks:

I would start looking into the Lemon law, apparently when the same thing happens 3 times, then you can be refunded the purchase price. Contact a lawyer.

It sounds like it isn't fully disengaging either from an impulse to the solenoid or maybe something as stupid as the key switch hanging up....

Have them test the new starter hooked up to the sled, but not bolted to the motor. See if the key switch is starting and stopping the starter from spinning.

Grimm said:
I would start looking into the Lemon law, apparently when the same thing happens 3 times, then you can be refunded the purchase price. Contact a lawyer.

like the price of the snowmobile or just the starters?

Thanks Grimm & roicIND. I'll relay roicIND's suggestion to my dealer. As for lemon law, we will, or should I say we are already beginning to look into it. Thanks you guys. All info is greatly appreciated!

Don't feel bad too bad. The only pieces of mine that are original are the left control arms, subframe and tunnel, seat, bars, tank and most of the plastics. Thank you 3 years of warranty! These machines are a blast to ride but dang they sure know how to break! I say I have a 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Phazer.

Have them check the One-Way bearing also.If it stuck it could cause the starter to spin all the time also.Can be checked by turning it with a finger or screwdriver.It should turn oneway freely and grab the other.Would be interesting to see one of these ruined starters.

IF I remember right I think someone looked into the Lemon Law and from what I remember it only applies to street legal vehicles, not OHV or recreational vehicles such as snowmobiles. I would double check that though, but don't get your hopes up.

I had a friend who bought a brand new 2005 M7 141" and he had a lot of problems with the first year model sled. Many items Arctic Cat did not warranty and claimed the issues were due to abuse of the sled. He got a lawyer and filed paperwork. AC settled out of court by replacing the items in question free of charge. Now, this was in the state of michigan, not sure how it varies from state to state. I also wonder whether he would of won the value of the sled if it had gone to court.

Well, this time around the dealer and Yamaha think the Diode may be bad and causing the starter to burn up. Instead of allowing current to only flow one direction it's allowing it to flow both, keeping the starter engaged while the sled is running. They should have the new parts in by now, but Yamaha wants the dealer to take my sled out for a test run a minimal of 10-20 miles before giving it back to me. I'm crossing my fingers, but not holding my breath.
Have also been in contact with an attorney regarding the lemon law. They have copies of all the service paperwork and said they'll review it and get back with me. I'd really like to keep my sled if possible, but at the same time I don't trust it's reliability any longer at all. That's a drag. I'll let you know what they say if and when the time comes.
I also talked with Yamaha last week and have to admit they were very cool so far. They are trying to fix the problem with my sled but truly don't know where it stems from. Any and all of your input is greatly appreciated though. Thanks guys! :rocks:

Hey Snow Flake!

I have personally feared this happening to mine after seeing it a few times.

In the last few weeks I have had 2 friends it has happened to unfortunately.

Am introducing the Starter Saver tonight.
It is a Very Bright Red Flashing warning if your starter sticks on for any reason.

That gives you a chance to do something about it BEFORE it smokes your starter & associated equipment.

Am heading to Munising tomorrow going up I-69.
If you are anywhere near that can meet me & I will get you fixed up! ;)!

Rock

Back