• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

4th Wheel mod

steiner

Staff member
Did a 4th wheel mod for my buddy and this time I took some measurements and pics for anyone else who wants to do one with out buying the kit.
Also included are pics of where all the spacers and washers go.

Remove the axle and all spacers and washers taking note the placement of all parts.
Using the driver side or left side inside spacer thats between the rail and wheel make a mark on the long center spacer.
Using a micrometer I found the bearing of the wheel to be about 12mm.
Make another mark on the large spacer 12mm away from other mark you just made or fron the other end of the spacer. I does not matter.
In the end you should have three pieces after cutting the spacer as in the pic below.
I cut the spacer with a copper cutting tool. This gave me a clean and straight cut and it was an inexpensive tool purchase.
What you will have to assemble is:
One large spacer
2 small spacers
2 medium spacers
4 washers
4 wheels
axle bolt and nut

Slide axle bolt into one wheel. Then add medium spacer and a washer. Next slide bolt into the pass side rail and add another washer between rail and track adjuster. Add small spacer and another wheel to the axle assembly. Now install the large spacer and another wheel.Next is to add another small spacer and then slide the axle into the driver side track adjuster. Before sliding the axle thru the rail add a washer between the rail and track adjuster. Now you add the last washer to the outside of the driver side rail, the last spacer and the last wheel and then the nut.
Its thats simple. ;)!

Attachments

• IMG_4859.jpg
    IMG_4859.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_4858.jpg
    IMG_4858.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_4856.jpg
    IMG_4856.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_4855.jpg
    IMG_4855.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_4853.jpg
    IMG_4853.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_4851.jpg
    IMG_4851.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 654

Here's another pic showing the assembly not on the rails.
You can see the order of the spacers and washers a little easier.
We also upgraded the wheels to the spoked Yamaha wheels that have replaceable bearings.

Attachments

• IMG_4866.jpg
    IMG_4866.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 636
steiner said:
Did a 4th wheel mod for my buddy and this time I took some measurements and pics for anyone else who wants to do one with out buying the kit.

Remove the axle and all spacers and washers taking note the placement of all parts.
Using the driver side or left side inside spacer thats between the rail and wheel make a mark on the long center spacer.
Make another mark on the large spacer 12mm away from other mark you just made or fron the other end of the spacer. I does not matter.
In the end you should have three pieces after cutting the spacer as in the pic below.
I cut the spacer with a copper cutting tool. This gave me a clean and straight cut and it was an inexpensive tool purchase.
One large spacer
2 small spacers
2 medium spacers
4 washers
4 wheels
axle bolt and nut

Slide axle bolt into one wheel. Then add medium spacer and a washer. Next slide bolt into the pass side rail and add another washer between rail and track adjuster. Add small spacer and another wheel to the axle assembly. Now install the large spacer and another wheel.Next is to add another small spacer and then slide the axle into the driver side track adjuster. Before sliding the axle thru the rail add a washer between the rail and track adjuster. Now you add the last washer to the outside of the driver side rail, the last spacer and the last wheel and then the nut.
Its thats simple. ;)!
Excellent write up Steiner.

Thanks for posting it up! ;)!

Good idea on using the tubing cutter. Never thought of that. I used a mitre chop saw with a carbide blade. Cut it like butter.

Mooseman said:
Good idea on using the tubing cutter. Never thought of that. I used a mitre chop saw with a carbide blade. Cut it like butter.

I used it by chance. Had nothing else in the tickle trunk that could make a nice straight cut.
It takes a few turns but works well.

That could be just been obsessed with the search function I often over look FAQ. Thank you for the information was a easy task.

One large spacer
2 small spacers
2 medium spacers
4 washers
4 wheels
axle bolt and nut

Its thats simple. ;)!

Thank's for taking the time to send me all that information & the pictures, it will be very helpful.

One large spacer
2 small spacers
2 medium spacers
4 washers
4 wheels
axle bolt and nut

Its thats simple. ;)!

So I went out to the garage & took the rear axle out of my 2018 Verctor & mic the small driver's left side inside spacer that's between the rail & wheel. That spacer mic's out at 1'' exactly. I know you said 15/16'' but that would make it too short. I appreciate all your information but are you sure about the longer piece at 4 1/4''. Once I cut them I cannot add if too short.

So I went out to the garage & took the rear axle out of my 2018 Verctor & mic the small driver's left side inside spacer that's between the rail & wheel. That spacer mic's out at 1'' exactly. I know you said 15/16'' but that would make it too short. I appreciate all your information but are you sure about the longer piece at 4 1/4''. Once I cut them I cannot add if too short.

If your spacer mic's out at an inch then its all good. Mic the bearing width and subtract that ( along with the 1" for the spacer) from the large spacer and you are done. It should be close to 4.25"

Back