• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

500 miles-cracked exhaust

The rear mount turbo Apex guys were having issues with the titanium flexible exhaust connector collasping. I believe they changed to the steel ones from the RX-1's and the problem went away.

The titanium didn't like the higher exhaust temps from having the turbo in the exhaust. The Phazer's run hot too, do they not?

The part of the exhaust that broke is not exposed to snow , it inside the engine bay so that shouldn't be what broke it. More likely is that it broke from the frame flex. Or its just a bad piece. Time will tell if it continues to be a problem.

How much louder was it? My machine has 1000km on it now, and it seems alot louder then it used to be at around 7500-8500 RPM.

What is a little difference that went away at low and high end of the powerband or was it a huge difference that you cant mistake?

Thx,

-Steve

You likely won't mistake the sound. Also if you have some backfiring happening after a long wide open pull is another initial sign. Once it's broke right off its unmistakeable though. It gets really loud.

My FX has 700 miles. I rode it yesterday and all seemed ok. Today I started it to let it warm up and it sounded loud to me during the fast idle. I took it for a ride and was getting some stight crackle or pop during trailing throttle. I let it warm up some more and it sounded normal. I went for a ride of 4-5 miles and it sounded ok.

When the exaust sounded loud, I covered the tail pipe (engine running) with a leather mit to listen for a leak, I did not hear a leak and the exaust did build good pressure and would kill the motor if I didnt let out the pressure.

Do I have a cracked head pipe????

mine cracked. its freakin way loud now!!

can anyone post info on how to get to this part? i have a friend up at MPM in Georgetown that does TI welds??? thanks!

phazerfly is right, lots of backfiring after a long pull or mark

cracked exaust.

I had my exaust tig welded with stainless rod. I do not think that the head pipe is Ti. Take off the two head pipes and have them tig welded, the rewelded partes will be better than the originals. I have put on 1100 miles after welding and have not had any other issues (with the exaust)

Could someone post a picture just out if interests sake.

Usually one would suspect the cracked pipe to be result of resonance. The engine exhaust manifold has one resonance while the exhaust is connected to the chassis inducing another resonance rate. :drink:

If the two opposed vibrations meet and nothing can dissipate the conflicting waves (like springs or a ball connection) then it will break. :o|

But…with out seeing a picture - its hard to tell.

I guess it is the flex tube that cracks.
It has cracked twice on my buddys turbo pz.

The head pipe cracks off where it is welded to the exaust flange (two bolt flange). The original pipe is welded to the flange with a very small internal weld that connects the end of the pipe to the inside surface of the flange. The repair welds the side of the pipe to the flange face. I feel that the repair is much stronger due to the increased surface area of the weld.

DaveRX1 said:
The head pipe cracks off where it is welded to the exaust flange (two bolt flange). The original pipe is welded to the flange with a very small internal weld that connects the end of the pipe to the inside surface of the flange. The repair welds the side of the pipe to the flange face. I feel that the repair is much stronger due to the increased surface area of the weld.

thanks!

my mtn has been in the shop since june for this. yamaha and colorado power sports are taking care of it, i hope yamaha sends some beefed up parts. i'm pretty happy with my YES warranty (although this is still factory warranty covered).....soo all you out there don't be afraid to call yamaha customer service if you have problems or concerns. i can't wait til i can get a nytro mtx in a year or so!

Back