• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

509 goggles and helmet

Tyloooor

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
So, I just bought a new 509 helmet with the 509 aviator goggles. This is my first snow-cross helmet and i have a few questions. I ordered a second pair of yellow lens for the goggles (which look a little small but dealer double checked with yamaha and they said they'll work)...is yellow a good tint for night riding? or should I get a clear set? Another questions is, I noticed the helment doesn't have any lower snow flap under my chin, all the other open face helmets I've owned have had one. will my chin freeze? I also wear a good balaclava. Should I get a good neck warmer? is there something i can buy to fill that area in??? how is the wind protection with the aviators inside that helmet? there doesn't seem to be much room for wind to get in. I know i will be keeping my full face helmets for those really cold days.

thanks

I've ridden with my 509 helmet with aviators down to -30c.
The goggles fits perfect and there is almost no room for the wind to pass.

With my previous open helmets/ w goggles i have always gotten freeze wounds in my face several times each season.

With the 509 combo thats not a problem ;)!

I just ordered my 509 helmet and the aviator googles also. I have never had that chin flap before but.. I wear a turtle fur neck band around my neck and no wind goes through it works good!

I have had really good luck with the klim balaclava's. One other thing I do to all my open faces right away is tape off the opening in the vent in the chin bar. Once you find a technique that works for you you'll never wear that closed face again no matter how cold it gets.

My chin was alittle cold so I got a neck warmer and blocked off the front vent with cotton and tape with the breath box. Works good the goggles fit pretty good very little room for air to get in

I have a set of Sinister goggles with the yellow tinted lenses. I don't like them at night. If its to dark out, its hard to see. I just ordered a set of the chrome clear lenses to put in instead.

Back