• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

6lbs Turbo Boost #s

Snow Fever

Expert
Anyone one out there have the dyno #s for 6lbs boost. I'm making my own kit from my old 600 Aero-Dyne turbo and would like the info on 6lbs. Please No Guesses. Only the facts. Thanks guys.

No intercooler, not needed for up to 7lbs. Don't get me wrong it has its benifits but it's not needed. It has some draw backs as well, more volume = more lag (build boost) cost and weight. On 6lbs boost (on paper) you should be able to run 94 Octane. There are many other factors but I plan on running a 50/50 mix Ave gas (100LL) with 92 pump gas. I have run this combination to 9lbs, high compression and NO intercooler on a 600 MM, 700 Doo and 700 RMK. I seen a thread on here awhile ago about a debate on the octane of Ave gas and I tried to find the stat sheet that I recieved from Shell Canada but I could'nt find it. Ave gas is some weird s#@!. It doesn't really translate over to the same ratings as car gas, but as close as I could figure (and I spoke with a Shell Rep about it as well) it would be around 110 octane. Higher octane is a coolant in itself and the LL in ave gas is a form of lubricant which also attributes to cooling through lubrication. LL stands for Low Lead. I will post pictures as I go. I am installing simular to the MC Express but I will be using a Areo-Dyne turbo instead. I will have a shorter charge tube to the intake and a smaller intake itself all of which will add to faster spool up. I will not be lowering compression or retarding any timming I have faith in this motor.

I will also be putting on a FU FU valve (not sure what the real name is) on the air box which when you back off the throttle the carbs pull a vacum which open the valve and allows the turbo to stay spooled up longer so when you hit the gas again your on full boost faster. (better throttle response) I have yet to see this application on any of the kits yet. It really works well. (maybe its under the air box on these other kits?) but I haven't seen it and nobody has spoke of it. I'll take pictures of that as well and post them. The other thing about the MC Express set up is the motor oil running through the turbo, this worries me because of the boiling of the oil from the heat in the turbo. I know you are suppose to run them for awhile when you stop to let the turbo cool (just like a car which I have had several turbos on) but this sled has a small oil resevoir and a VERY SMALL engine compartment. If you are a lake racer or trail rider you will get lots of cool air running through but as a boon docker or mountain rider there is high heat and little air flow hence cooking the oil which will now be the blood in your motor. Good or Bad? I think BAD! As far as the intercooler thing goes you have to remember that some guys have the balls to run this thing at 10-15lbs of boost so having that cooler is a very good thing but I just want a little more snort for those new REV Doos and Cats that are coming.

I'm not trying to DIS anyone elses product, I think that both the Bender and MC Express kits are awsome and I guy up here also built his own kit simular to Benders with a few mods to improve on it but using a automitive turbo on it. I just happen to like the Areo-Dyne turbo better because it spools up faster and I have it. I'm starting on the project now and as a bonus by doing it myself I will have something to do for the next 5 months which are pretty poor sledding months anyways. Also I am going to have to make a new tank as the MC guys did but I plan on cutting out a slot under the seat to make the tank a little bigger there to replace what you loose from where the turbo mounts. (which also lowers the C.G.) and makes better handling.

Av gas

It has been a while since I have purchased Av gas, but i do remember that there was 2 different octanes available. One was 100 and the other was either 110 or 112. So i guess it depends on where you buy it and what is available.

Yea buckeye,here in U.S.A. ave gas is min. 100 octane,but the rating is funny at best cause it can be up to 140+ as well,Glad ya back on snowfever,sounds like u have plenty of exsperence w/turbos please keep us posted,and i like your take on every thing you have talked about so far,keep up the good work this summer,and keep us posted reg. Pete 8)

Back