• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

7800mi Service 16 Jackshaft upgrade and Driver/Shaft change 2017 Shaft/Bearing info

Bad luck continues... same bearing went agai . 100 miles. Replacing with a 2017 back case, entire new shaft/housing assembly (the 3rd time), and a new secondary clutch. No discoverable reason, lots of time diagnosing. Assuming something is out of alignment in the entire system. Chaincase side seems fine, just getting new back case in case it is somehow throwing off alignment. Ordered a hurricane alignment tool.

Any suggestions if I have to buy an aftermarket secondary clutch? Fixed portion of the stock secondary is on backorder.

Lot of work to do before heading to ride U.P. next Wednesday.

Bad luck continues... same bearing went agai . 100 miles. Replacing with a 2017 back case, entire new shaft/housing assembly (the 3rd time), and a new secondary clutch. No discoverable reason, lots of time diagnosing. Assuming something is out of alignment in the entire system. Chaincase side seems fine, just getting new back case in case it is somehow throwing off alignment. Ordered a hurricane alignment tool.

Any suggestions if I have to buy an aftermarket secondary clutch? Fixed portion of the stock secondary is on backorder.

Lot of work to do before heading to ride U.P. next Wednesday.
What the heck! You can just run a straightedge. Across both clutches and measure. When in did it spin freely? You sure it’s not the secondary itself taking out the bearing? Really a mystery!

I DO think the secondary is somehow taking out the bearing, I just can't figure out why. New collar, washers and obviously snap ring everytime going in between the secondary and bearing... on a brand new shaft each time. Ideas?

Might have to get an aftermarket secondary clutch with stock parts on backorder. Any suggestions there are appreciated as well. Thanks guys.

I DO think the secondary is somehow taking out the bearing, I just can't figure out why. New collar, washers and obviously snap ring everytime going in between the secondary and bearing... on a brand new shaft each time. Ideas?

Might have to get an aftermarket secondary clutch with stock parts on backorder. Any suggestions there are appreciated as well. Thanks guys.
Was clutch machined?

No, stock, never touched it. Don't believe there were any relevant recalls either.

Call Barn of parts for secondary. Are buttons gone on secondary? Just trying to figure out how it could hit twice.

You have me nervous. I am regreasing mine tonight before weekend. If possible we should take some measurements. Call me. Number is in signature

Just got done regreasing mine. Was greased before season. Grease was dirty but still plenty and cage is perfect with no signs of heat or any play. Aaryn you didnt lose the washer/Spacer that goes on right before the secondary?

Both times I installed entire bearing/shaft/housing arm assemblies. Pressed from the factory. Both times the collar/spacer, washers and snap ring were destroyed by the secondary (or so it seems).

I have everything ripped apart, waiting on parts Monday. I can definitely call when I have everything ready for measurements and review. Would even be willing to forklift into the 2 place trailer and bring to you Tuesday afternoon if you're available (I'd leave chain case cover off so that side is visible). Trying to put this behind me obviously.

I ordered literally EVERY single part in the 2017 system this time, from the bolt holding the secondary, all the way through to a new top gear. Back case, shaft, secondary, all hardware included.

FYI to all, back case swap isn't impossible, but it's not a 30 mintue job as stated many pages ago in this forum. Easy to say that if you've already dropped the skid, removed plastics and exhaust. Either way, Mills will also be my hero for the M6×2.0×24 bolts. Really hoping I have everything else I need.

When I put my 2014 back together with a 2017 inner case, I found out that the M6 x 2.0 x 24mm bolts or self tapping screws, item number 38 on the 2017 Sidewinder schematic were needed but only the six that go through the tunnel into the back side of the inner case. The blots/screws from my 2014 that secure the outer cover to the inner case worked just fine. I took a lot of measurements of the jack and drive shaft to the chassis to make sure they were square to the chassis and then scribed around everything that locks their position to make sure I got it back together square.

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you! Just beginning to place the new back case. Hopefully success story tonight and test ride in the U.P. tomorrow afternoon...

Got everything back together. Just a brake line bleed to wrap up, and my parts order was missing the collar 90384-38243 that goes between the back of the secondary and the washers, so I'll have to wait until after that gets overnighted to the hotel before testing.

Offset of clutches is at about 15mm... spec says 13mm-16mm so assuming I'm okay. 1.5mm of free play in secondary itself. Secondary sheave clearance is at 35.5mm currently.

Would like to add the steel guard you guys were discussing under the chain case. That case back base is way too exposed -- with regard to myself and others using the forklift with extensions to move the sled around.

Back