• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

800xp vs ApexGT on the lake

mulderdad said:
Hey MNM.
How you doin man?
Havn't seen ya around lately.
Cheers,
Rick.
Hey rick,i am headed up to greenville this coming monday to repurchase another yammi,its a brand new in box 07 apex gt w/full warrenty,he is taking in trade my xp800 on it,so i will be back on a 4-stroke again,i was a little scared of the 2-smoke blowing up,it has 2500 hard miles now,and it sounds like crap,and they dont go on top,ya lite as hell,but thats it. cheers pete

so if my memory serves me correctly snowbeast started on a yamaha(rx), jumped ship to polaris confusion, came back to yamaha (apex), jumped ship to doo, and is now back to yamaha. welcome back snowbeast.

wow thats better than my old memory lol

grader said:
so if my memory serves me correctly snowbeast started on a yamaha(rx), jumped ship to polaris confusion, came back to yamaha (apex), jumped ship to doo, and is now back to yamaha. welcome back snowbeast.
Man you are good,that sounds about right lol,glad to be back. Pete

apex

vice108 said:
Welcome back Pete! The Apex motor is hard to forget isn't it.

Bill
Hi bill,ya the motor is killer,but the apex gts just plain handle good,despite what some think. Will be up at mooseheadmotorsports monday picking up the beauty. LOL Cheers Pete

apex

Blue Dave said:
What are you paying for the new '07 Apex GT?
Hes asking 9100 but i am trading in my doo.

It looks like he isn't discounting the Apex too much since he has to take your Doo in trade. I paid $8999 + tax & lic in December of '07 for a new '07 Apex GT. I hope that he is giving you a fair price on your XP.

welterracer said:
Glad to see your back MNMSNOWBEAST..

Hard to beat a good setup apex.. if only it was lighter.. LOL
Thanks brian,ya thats what i figured to.

Blue Dave said:
It looks like he isn't discounting the Apex too much since he has to take your Doo in trade. I paid $8999 + tax & lic in December of '07 for a new '07 Apex GT. I hope that he is giving you a fair price on your XP.
No hes not,he said he really did not want the xp,sense he sells doo as well,i think he is afraid he will have his hands full after snowcheck,or yellow fever lol,mine has a complete set of zbroz shocks on it as well as stock x pk shocks and acces. to boot.

The XP no doubt is a cool sled. I have several friends who have them. My brothers 08 XP 800 Adrenaline just went down after about 4000 miles. He has had several issues with the sled, but it never left him stranded until it went down. Another bud had an 08 XP X and hated the ride, so sold it and bought a 09. Much better ride and he has it tuned just great. There are 2 other Apexs in our group and they are not even close to Marks XP. That said, he takes the time to make sure his sleds are always working perfectly. I rode it the other night and had a great time on it, and have to say it just ripped for an 800. His is several lenghts better than my brothers. All in setup, but serioulsy equal states tune, equal traction the XP is hard to beat up to 100. The thing that bothers me about the XP is it seems to be on the edge from the factory and there are several guys out there with more than 2500 miles that are having catostrophic engine failures. It will be interesting to see what comes from Ski Doo with regards to longevity. My Polaris buds have stayed put on red because of there good luck over the years. They dont run like the Doos, but I do think Polaris is building a nice quality 2 stroke. Also interesting is Cat, Suzuki has done a nice job over the past few years getting nice power and making a seemingly more durable product.

With all that, no way, no how any 2 stroke out there will outlive any of what Yamaha has to offer, but if you still like 2 strokes, there are some good options out there.

BlueByYou2000 said:
The XP no doubt is a cool sled. I have several friends who have them. My brothers 08 XP 800 Adrenaline just went down after about 4000 miles. He has had several issues with the sled, but it never left him stranded until it went down. Another bud had an 08 XP X and hated the ride, so sold it and bought a 09. Much better ride and he has it tuned just great. There are 2 other Apexs in our group and they are not even close to Marks XP. That said, he takes the time to make sure his sleds are always working perfectly. I rode it the other night and had a great time on it, and have to say it just ripped for an 800. His is several lenghts better than my brothers. All in setup, but serioulsy equal states tune, equal traction the XP is hard to beat up to 100. The thing that bothers me about the XP is it seems to be on the edge from the factory and there are several guys out there with more than 2500 miles that are having catostrophic engine failures. It will be interesting to see what comes from Ski Doo with regards to longevity. My Polaris buds have stayed put on red because of there good luck over the years. They dont run like the Doos, but I do think Polaris is building a nice quality 2 stroke. Also interesting is Cat, Suzuki has done a nice job over the past few years getting nice power and making a seemingly more durable product.

With all that, no way, no how any 2 stroke out there will outlive any of what Yamaha has to offer, but if you still like 2 strokes, there are some good options out there.

I sure have seen nothing but grief with their new 800 (Polaris Dragon) over on AMSNOW. Sounds like owners are having them re-flashed and changing clutch/gearing and installing different injectors just to get them to perform like they should.

BlueByYou2000 said:
The thing that bothers me about the XP is it seems to be on the edge from the factory and there are several guys out there with more than 2500 miles that are having catostrophic engine failures. It will be interesting to see what comes from Ski Doo with regards to longevity.

Exactly! My buddy can beat me in 1/4 mile race from a dead stop (monster holeshot) with his '09 XP 800 R but he has yet to beat me to the end of the weekend! He has had engine problems that have ended his riding on three different weekends. He has had three dealer engine repairs with the latest being a complete motor replacement.

In Doo's defense he had the dealer do a head modification that the dealer stood behind but convinced him had nothing to do with the engine failures. I'm not so sure, I agree that these XP's are tweaked right to the edge of reliability from the factory and that any mods will put them over that edge.

Back