• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A few comments on Apexes/Attaks "overheating"

I thought that the coolant was installed at the factory rather than during set-up at the dealer.

In any case, many '07's had a very high concentration of glycol which does not transfer heat as efficiently as a 60/40 mixture.

Blue Dave said:
I thought that the coolant was installed at the factory rather than during set-up at the dealer.

In any case, many '07's had a very high concentration of glycol which does not transfer heat as efficiently as a 60/40 mixture.

I assume it was the dealers doing the coolant as my coolant came mixed properly. I am sure the factory could screw it up too but makes more sense to me that the dealers would screw it up. I would assume they would have a large quantity of premixed coolant at the factory and it would be hard or at least harder to screw up.

In my head I have picture of an 18 yr old kid at the dealer holding a full bottle of 100% antifreeze and dumping it in until shes full. When i worked at the Ford factory coolant came premixed in huge batches and was dispensed in precise amounts form an overhead hose and nozzle apparatus. I just assume Yamaha would have something similiar in their factory of they filled coolant there.

One thing the dealer did screw up on mine was they didnt tighten the front bumper tight enough and so one day while having a tough loading session my buddy broke my bumper off because one side came loose. Of course they refused warranty and said it was my fault for not checking the tightness of bumper bolts. Needless to say the dealer is no longer my dealer and my 5 riding buddies have all taken their business elsewhere based on many similiar problems with them not owning up to their mistakes.

I suspect it is a factory policy to send these out with full strength and depending where you live, you dilute to your preference. It happens way to often that these are reported to have 100 percent antifreeze. I can't believe that so many dealers have no idea what percent antifreeze to add, but I do believe when they see green, they think she's ready to go.

I do not think that it was intentional to ship out sleds with 100% glycol. 60/40 would be strong enough for any climate and that is exactly what you get when you buy a bottle of Yamacool.

I do not know if mine was 100% but it was off the scale of two different high quality testers. In any case check your concentration and dillute with distilled water to get it down to at least 60/40.

I have 7200 miles on my Apex and it has never once overheated. However on ice hardpacked trails with no lubrication, my dad's attak will overheat everytime.

I'll have them check the coolant and we'll see if that does the trick. I had installed the extra wheel kit on the sliders and it helped as it reduced the drag on the track, but it still overheats. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks. Wig

Wig,

I doubt very much that the engine overheating has anything to do with track friction. For there to be enough track friction to overheat the engine you would notice performance problems and damage to the slides & track.

I am sure that your dealer will check the obvious suspects such as glycol concentration, air in the cooling system, faulty thermostat, pressure cap, radiator fan, water pump, etc.

Another possibility is that the high temperature indication is faulty and that the sled is actually not overheating. A temperature gauge would quickly determine if the indication was activating at the correct temperature.

You may want to add the temperature gauge that Ulmer Racing sells. Check out the post on this, one TY member has an extra one for sale. I bought one for my Apex and I am looking forward to actually being able to monitor my coolant temperature in varying conditions.

????

Is the overheating worse when you start doing engine mod's? Chargers, engine work, clutch kits etc?

I would assume that engine mods that produce more HP would create more engine heat. However I can not see how a clutch kit would make any difference in engine heat.

I diluted the coolant to 60 / 40, added Water Wetter and run Simmons Flexi-Skis with the spray deflectors. Got a temperature Gauge from Ulmer and the sled averages 160 to 185f, depending on conditions. Never overheats and no need for the cooler. Long streatches down a plowed road only require you load some snow on the running boards. You'll melt your sliders before you overheat.

Back