• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

After 15 months finally got a motor

kinger

VIP Member
Website
www.piergenius.com
As some of you know my 17 winder has blown up 2 times now taking it down for the entire year each time with the dealer assembling the new motor. The last time was Feb 2021 I took it in, finally got word a new yamaha assembled longblock motor is coming. Yay.

Sled will be on back up only duty to the twincharged. It’s been a miserable experience. Hoping 3rd time is a charm. Will be all stock.

Just wanted to bring this story to a close. Not really interested in commentary on it but did want to share how this one will end.

Thanks to everyone for all the PMs and help trying to help me get this thing to run. I appreciate it. Cheers!!

I'm glad to hear you have one coming. Keep us updated once you have it on snow!

As some of you know my 17 winder has blown up 2 times now taking it down for the entire year each time with the dealer assembling the new motor. The last time was Feb 2021 I took it in, finally got word a new yamaha assembled longblock motor is coming. Yay.

Sled will be on back up only duty to the twincharged. It’s been a miserable experience. Hoping 3rd time is a charm. Will be all stock.

Just wanted to bring this story to a close. Not really interested in commentary on it but did want to share how this one will end.

Thanks to everyone for all the PMs and help trying to help me get this thing to run. I appreciate it. Cheers!!
Hopefully now you can sell it! sell it now fast!

Your story is not normal for the sidewinder's.

Well its not normal for the tune brand we run, but there is a lot of fried engines and cracked heads from deto with the brand of tunes the OP was running. Not only Yamaha engines but a rash of 900t's as well. Most don't seem to talk of it publicly which I just don't understand. I know a few here have tried to warn people like Turboflash, but he's in the minority. Most seem to protect the tuner and not speak about it.

There is a reason "our tune guy" refuses to turn down the knock sensitivity! I will never switch tuners because of it, also because he did the testing and development on the knock detection and perfected it on the 998 with knock ears on the engine dyno like Delphi or GM would do in the automobile world while developing engine platforms to verify the proper frequency and noise levels.

I'm glad Yamaha stepped to the plate for an new engine for the OP, they certainly didn't have to do that to cover a tuners inadequacies in developing a proper knock system on a tuned sled, but they did. Speaks volumes for the company Yamaha is. Some of the other OEM's would have told him to pound sand.

I recently heard of someone who developed a crack in their head after admittedly running 270hp on 87 for years.
I expect there will be more going forward with premium fuel expensive now. Just stupid to try to save a couple hundred bucks a year, while putting your engine at risk which would costs thousands.
This is really nothing new as I remember 2002 SRX owners practically begging me to bypass knock protection so they could run cheaper fuel.

Really 15 other people blew up 2 motors virtually without riding them? Bullshark. pffft.
Yes! Just because you don’t want to hear it doesn’t mean it’s not true. Not all we’re PEFI, not all we’re even tuned. I’m glad yours is working well. I have no dog in this fight other than to say Yamaha, albeit slow AF, took care of this. I appreciate that and will keep me on the brand.

You should consider yourself VERY fortunate as Yamaha had zero obligation to replace this engine being tuned.
I couldn't even get them to replace a failed thumb warmer because I was tuned!

I don't get that impression when I see the word 'finally' and then go on to say it was a 'miserable experience'.

Ya ya. Not if you ask the 15 people who messaged me privately. Not going to to thier details. Again this saga is over. Glad yours is working well!!
To bad a PEFI tune took out your first engine that Yamaha warranted.
Lucky you got a free engine twice!

To bad a PEFI tune took out your first engine that Yamaha warranted.
Lucky you got a free engine twice!
I actually have the YES plan which is what is covering it vs the factory limited warranty. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, but either way they cost me a riding season, had to deal with getting no responses or I will call you back, after nagging dealer, then nagging Yamaha customer service, then waiting for them to call but never calling, then more nagging, 3 open cases with Yamaha corp later, a discussion with the Yamaha rep from the dealer, and finally a inspection by the Yamaha rep of my motor, finally in the end covered, so happy about that, still just a crappy process. Hopefully it holds up this time. Hoping to put 500 miles on it this year and double my time so far since 2017!

Back