• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

After 15 months finally got a motor

Picked it up today, and...it wont start. Lovely...

Dead battery. Gotta love it!
You HAVE to DUMP this sled!!!!!
Bad Karma between you two.
It reminds me of my EX-Wife, I Loved her, still friends with her, but my life improved without her.

The only difference between your SideWinder & my Ex is the bad head............................why I Married her!

Let's get back on track, cuz I usually derail posts with my awkward comments.

This 998, from what I've seen, has been pretty reliable if you consider MOST have been modded.
The serious "Belt Blowing" issue I believe had to have hurt some motors.

After my 1st season my offset had changed & following Dr. KNAPP's advice, I replaced my Stub Shaft Bearing & locked it down.
It was SUPER tight so it took some serious hits to move like it did.
I have to imagine some motors were affected by this.

I also believe that YAMAHA made these motors easy to crack the ECU to Tune so they could put out big HP & look like kings.
Therefore I believe they made them pretty stout.

Does anyone know if a manufacture has to oblige a Warranty if it's been Tuned?

Is there any laws for this?

usually if you have a motor problem on a tuned engine you are on your own.

Let's get back on track, cuz I usually derail posts with my awkward comments.

This 998, from what I've seen, has been pretty reliable if you consider MOST have been modded.
The serious "Belt Blowing" issue I believe had to have hurt some motors.

After my 1st season my offset had changed & following Dr. KNAPP's advice, I replaced my Stub Shaft Bearing & locked it down.
It was SUPER tight so it took some serious hits to move like it did.
I have to imagine some motors were affected by this.

I also believe that YAMAHA made these motors easy to crack the ECU to Tune so they could put out big HP & look like kings.
Therefore I believe they made them pretty stout.
Many engine ECUs are not encrypted or protected beyond simple access control and whatever checksum scheme they use.

Encrypting the ECU files requires more storage, management of encryption/decryption keys which some third parties will need access to, etc. There is little incentive to encrypt/protect the ECU files beyond simple access control. It costs them more in development, testing, equipment, etc for what.. unless they are deciding to sell their own soft upgrades its better to just leave it as simple as possible. As soon as they do encrypt it there are so many third parties that need access (dealers, etc) that it just becomes a hassle to manage all the keys. Look at Blu-Ray, in theory a bulletproof scheme but eventually some third party leaks the keys and voila, everyone can access the data.

Yamaha overbuilds their engines... almost all of them.. its just in their DNA. if you read through the history of yamaha motors you can see where they have taken a single design through a decade of mods to improve output without many changes and that's for factory delivered motors (as they did for Toyota and Ford) that have to be warrantied by the OEM.

Its up to the manufacturer, I believe @kinger worked with Yamaha who knew the motor was tuned, but because the mod (tune) didn't cause the problem or they couldn't show the tune to have caused the failure, Yamaha doesn't really care. Or @kinger is just gifted at sweet talking the corporate folks at Y. :)

Its up to the manufacturer, I believe @kinger worked with Yamaha who knew the motor was tuned, but because the mod (tune) didn't cause the problem or they couldn't show the tune to have caused the failure, Yamaha doesn't really care. Or @kinger is just gifted at sweet talking the corporate folks at Y. :)
You are correct. Legally they are obligated to honor the warranty unless they can prove what I did caused the failure. Practically they can tell me to pound sand and we spend $50K going to court where we leave it to the judge to decide. I am thankful they didn't do that and just threw a new motor in and retained my loyalty. Just to be sure the sled will be all stock this year and I am hoping for a few hundred trouble free stock miles so I can in good faith say this is fixed and sell it as such. It will be babied and may even find a 2 up seat on it as I try to get my wife to start sledding with my daughters. I will beat on the twincharged apex for my adrenaline rush on the boys trip :sled2:

Many engine ECUs are not encrypted or protected beyond simple access control and whatever checksum scheme they use.

Encrypting the ECU files requires more storage, management of encryption/decryption keys which some third parties will need access to, etc. There is little incentive to encrypt/protect the ECU files beyond simple access control. It costs them more in development, testing, equipment, etc for what.. unless they are deciding to sell their own soft upgrades its better to just leave it as simple as possible. As soon as they do encrypt it there are so many third parties that need access (dealers, etc) that it just becomes a hassle to manage all the keys. Look at Blu-Ray, in theory a bulletproof scheme but eventually some third party leaks the keys and voila, everyone can access the data.

Yamaha overbuilds their engines... almost all of them.. its just in their DNA. if you read through the history of yamaha motors you can see where they have taken a single design through a decade of mods to improve output without many changes and that's for factory delivered motors (as they did for Toyota and Ford) that have to be warrantied by the OEM.

I say this cuz DOO Encrypted the HELL out of the 900R.
Maybe they're not confident their motor can handle high HP or maybe they just want complete control.

Back