• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Aligning Split Rail Skis?

yamaha06

VIP Member
Well when I bought my sled the guy had installed some split rail skis, he wasn't very mechanically inclined and I doubt he checked the skis for alignment, I looked in the manual to check for alignment but couldn't find anything. Also when I was looking at the right ski (looking at the sled head on) it seems to not be sitting flat on the ground, it seems to angle in towards the sled a lot more then the other side, if I take the tie rod off and tighten it in will it pull the spindle in therefore making the ski sit flatter?

No it will not. It will only adjust toe-in or toe-out. I would contact the makers of the skis and talk to them.

I just put split rail skis on my 2011 XTX. I had the same condition you are referring to (bad on one side), and loosening the tie rod DID help level the ski (making it more parallel to the ground when looking at it head on).

The guys at Split-Rail recommend the stock setting for toe out, which is .25 inch for the Nytro. Once my skis were aligned, they sat much flatter to the ground, though not perfectly flat, they still lean in a "bit". The Splt-Rail guys say this will get better once front suspension is engaged on the trails.

A heads up, on the newer models, the inside adjustment nut on the tie rod is NOT accessible from underneath! You can squeeze your forearm in the nose area, and barely reach the nuts with an open end wrench. I had to make adjustments with one hand, about 10 degrees at a time, reversing the wrench each turn. Pain in the butt!

MikeAllard said:
I just put split rail skis on my 2011 XTX. I had the same condition you are referring to (bad on one side), and loosening the tie rod DID help level the ski (making it more parallel to the ground when looking at it head on).

The guys at Split-Rail recommend the stock setting for toe out, which is .25 inch for the Nytro. Once my skis were aligned, they sat much flatter to the ground, though not perfectly flat, they still lean in a "bit". The Splt-Rail guys say this will get better once front suspension is engaged on the trails.

A heads up, on the newer models, the inside adjustment nut on the tie rod is NOT accessible from underneath! You can squeeze your forearm in the nose area, and barely reach the nuts with an open end wrench. I had to make adjustments with one hand, about 10 degrees at a time, reversing the wrench each turn. Pain in the butt!

How did you align your split rail skis since there missing the middle? Is there any steps you have to go through to make sure there aligned straight with the track? I will try messing around with the tie rod, my ski angles in toward the sled quite a bit...

When the top of the ski spindles are closer together than the bottom of the spindles, it is called negative camber. The opposite condition is called positive camber.

Once my split-rail skis were aligned (1/4 total toe out) I have negative camber of 3 degrees each side.

To align skis:

Put a straight edge along track to extend beyond skis (or a string taped to the ground).

Put bungee cord through loops of skis, to slightly pull them together to get rid of play in steering mechanism.

Put handlebars straight.

Now measure the distance from flat edge of ski to straight edge (or string) 1 foot in front of spindle, to a foot behind spindle. You want the difference per side to be 1/8 inch in order to achieve total toe out of 1/4 inch.

Adjust this with the tie rod.

To adjust the camber, you will need to add shims, or machine out a portion of the upper a arm connection to the ball joint. For negative camber, like you and I have, we would need to add shims. I am not messing with this yet, as the Split-Rail manufacturer said some negative camber is OK, and the split rail gives a whole new geometry to the front end.

Thanks a lot mike, that will help me out a lot,
I will give it a shot and see if it looks any better, im sure it can't get any worse, measuring camber, is that in the manual anywhere? I'm curious to see how negative my one ski is ha. Thanks again!

You just have to measure the angle of the spindle when on a flat surface. The Split Rail Ski has a flat, wide (roughly 1-1/2 dia) piece of hardware that should be plumb to the ground. Measure the angle of this flat surface +/- how many degrees off of 90.

Back