• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

am I to old for a SR viper

Thinking of getting back into snowmobiling. 51 years old and 250lbs , I owned a rx-1 and 05 vector , I preferred the vector over the rx-1 as it seemed to handle a little better . I raised the seat and bars .

Thinking of the viper But am worried the new aggressive style might not be for me. Unfortunately the next demo rides here in new york are not until march .

I like trail riding, but never liked the sit back feel of the vector with the low seat , I always find myself riding with my knees foreword, I also wondered why they didn't have power steering on the viper.

I am not over the hill and like to play a little and have fun. But lets face I not going to ride like the guys under 30 do. will this sled be comfortable on a long trail ride? any other old timers riding these sleds? .

No power steering because it does not need power steering. My wife is 5'1" and 130 and had given up riding until her first ride on the Viper. Her third ride was 140 miles and she was still smiling when we got home.

As long as you don't get the LE boy racer colors you will be fine and not looked at like your having a mid life crisis!!!...lol

Hey now.

Don't be starting something with us LE guys, we like those colors.:bling

We don't talk sh! T about the old fart red sleds.... :bore:

Haha

Last edited:
You will not regret the viper ltx-dx with minor tweeks it rides like a Cadillac. 200mi+ days no problem. We just got back from a trip did just over 200 in one day I was ready to keep going while everyone on rx1s and apexs were ready for the hot tub

My wife and I are both 54 and really like our new vipers. I've been snowmobiling for 42 years and this is the best yet! I actually prefer the firm ride of my LTX LE. I use to get sore knees on my Nytro after a 150 mile day. Not on the Viper! My wife says she's riding more confident than ever on her LTX DX and she's been sledding for 25 years. Don't worry about power steering, the Vipers steering is very easy. Get one, you'll love it!

I'm with everyone else here, went from a nytro xtx to a ltx-dx and absolutely love it. But def go with the coil-overs, have ridden them with the floats and not near as plush-im 6'3" and 250, couldn't get suspension soft enough even with it all at lowest settings. But I'm "only" 42....

If you go with an le just get the shocks revalved and you'll have the best ride and look like joe rocket. Nobody knows how old you are under the helmet until you take it off and surprise the hell out of the twenty something's that were trying to keep up.

Iam 48 and my friend is 80 5ft5 145lbs and loves his viper (even tho it broke down) first two rides over 200mi and not sore. mine has 3700miles and like it better every time i ride it!!!!

My 80 year old friend came off a polaris (riding them since 1971) rides like he took off 20 years. Great to see the old guy have so much fun!!

I am 49 with two replaced knees, a cervical fusion,knuckle replacements and bad arthritis.i can ride my viper all day and still feel pretty decent afterward. I ride with a mixed age group but all ride like its CC race. I came off an 02 viper that would beat the hell out of me. Defiantly an upgrade you will love it!!!!!

Thinking of getting back into snowmobiling. 51 years old and 250lbs , I owned a rx-1 and 05 vector , I preferred the vector over the rx-1 as it seemed to handle a little better . I raised the seat and bars .

Thinking of the viper But am worried the new aggressive style might not be for me. Unfortunately the next demo rides here in new york are not until march .

I like trail riding, but never liked the sit back feel of the vector with the low seat , I always find myself riding with my knees foreword, I also wondered why they didn't have power steering on the viper.

I am not over the hill and like to play a little and have fun. But lets face I not going to ride like the guys under 30 do. will this sled be comfortable on a long trail ride? any other old timers riding these sleds? .

First of all I take exception to your "old timers" comment.
A friend of mine bought a 2014 LTX DX last year and made 6780 KLM's and loved the sled, traded it for a 2015, He's 70.
I put my wife on an XTX last year, she came off an 06 Rage, and for her it is an all around better riding, better handling sled.
She is "a few years" older than you, is 4'11 and weighs 105 in full gear.
I bought an XTX for my self this year, because of the seating position and suspension, both of which are as close to perfect as I can find.
I am a couple years older than my wife and more than a few older than you.
I am 5' 11 and about 210 in full gear.
Ride and handling you will love this sled.

I'm 44 years old and upgraded my 2002 viper last year to the 2014 xtx, absolutely love the ride and how it handles in deep powder and on trails. I average 500-700 kms a day and feel great after a long day riding. I took my daughter out this past weekend and rode my 2002 viper which I haven't ride In two years and I felt beat up after a few hours of riding.

Back