• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another first ride post - on the "new to me" VK Pr

swampdog

We finally had a little snow - about four or five inches - and I took the Yamaha out for a ride. I only covered six or seven km, mainly on a X-country ski trail that I plan to set track on once we get more snow.

Reading posts on this site taught me not to overdo the choke, so I quickly eased up on the choke once it started. It started very well, but it ran rough for the first few minutes and stalled several times when I tried to move it. Once warmed up a little more, it ran well. Does this sound normal - that it needs to warm up more, even after the temp light goes off?

This thing does have a lot of power, at least compared to the old 340 Yamaha 2 stroke. When I brought it home a few weeks ago, backing it down the ramp off the truck proved interesting. Something on one ski hung up on a crosspiece on the aluminum ramp. So I just gave it more gas. When it finally let go, it shot backwards nearly 50 feet across the grass before I got it stopped, even though I was on the brake immediately. Good thing there was clear space (no tree, vehicle, or building) behind the pickup truck. (Fortunately, I also didn't panic and just hold the throttle open - as I've seen so many riders do, especially on dirt bikes.) Lesson learned - I hope!

it's an art to operate this machine and a fine one at that. You will get used to her but it will take time. The first couple of months I had mine there were many a day I wanted to burn it. Now I'm used to it I would'nt trade it in for a pot of gold!

Swampdog,

Once started there's a red light on the dash that indicates the engine is cold. Once that light goes out I still have to baby mine at first to prevent the engine from stopping when I try to move it.

stewartb said:
Swampdog,

Once started there's a red light on the dash that indicates the engine is cold. Once that light goes out I still have to baby mine at first to prevent the engine from stopping when I try to move it.

The machine was backing off bare, rough concrete at that point, which likely created resistance drag on the skis. That, and not having it warmed up much, possibly caused the stalling.

Driving on concrete can't be good for the skis either. However, this thing is so heavy that one can't just pick up a front corner and put one of those roller dollies under each ski.

I'm thinking about making wooden skids to park it on. Does anyone do something similar when parking on concrete?

I just run mine into the garage and park it. Know what you mean about the dollies. Wonder if one of those lifts would raise it so you could put dollies under it?

David

WANNA4STROKE said:
I just run mine into the garage and park it. Know what you mean about the dollies. Wonder if one of those lifts would raise it so you could put dollies under it?

David

I've seen lifts for the rear (actually have one) - that is a quick way to partially raise the track off the concrete. I say "partially" because the track has so much movement in it that to raise it completely off the concrete, one needs to lift it once, then put a block of wood under the rear of the track, then adjust the lift to lift higher and then lift it again. Then one can put a dolly under the track. But the front is still on the concrete.

I have flexi-skis on my VK Pro which have a profile that rides perfectly on a 2x4 and this keeps the carbides off the concrete. So I've made a track through my barn with 2x4s under each ski and it works great.

Thought I would post an update on the "new to me" Pro.

We finally had a bit more snow, so I took the snowmobile out for longer rides. I put about 450 kilometers on it in the past two weeks. That included four rides of about 95 kilometers round trip (about 60 miles for you Americans) to go ice fishing to a remote lake. I am a bit concerned about heading that far into the forest on little traveled trails, so I pull a sled with survival gear. The good fishing at the other end of the trail makes the trip worthwhile.

The Yamaha has run very well, meeting or exceeding my expectations. A round trip of 95 km averaging about 32 km per hour (20 mph) uses about 12 litres or 3 gallons of fuel, while pulling a sleigh. The trails are rough and have lots of sharp curves and side sloping hills, so going any faster is pushing it.

The Yamaha did throw a scare into me on one trip. Truly in the middle of nowhere far from home, a sudden loud banging and clanging came from the track/tunnel area. Thinking something had broken in the drive or suspension, I eased off on the throttle and let the machine grind to a halt. What I think happened is that a large piece of ice, which possibly had built up in front of the flap, broke loose and went through the tunnel. After moving back and forth a few times, all seemed well, and the machine has performed well since.

In order to get onto the lake that I go to, one needs to go through about 100 feet of snow drifts, piled up there by wind off the lake. The drifts are about four feet deep, and getting stuck would mean a lot of shoveling. The Yamaha handled those drifts with ease. I could see where another machine with a narrow track had tried to go through the drifts and had become stuck.

I have also used it to set classic X-country ski trails a few times. It pulls the track setter effortlessly in high range.

So far I love the Viking Pro! It is an amazing machine.

Back