• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another possible subframe

I hit a rock today at about 15 miles an hr,Hit on the right side of the subframe. Scuffed up but did not see anything bent,It is dark now So I can go check but Ill update.

Everything on my sled is even all the way around. However the shocks are close to the upper A-arms but even on both sides. I shall call the dealer this week and email him some picts.

The front ends on these things are noodles. Ignore people that have zero miles on the fronts and have hit a rock. The bushings all around are wearing out super early under normal to somewhat aggresive riding. There is tons of slop after minimal riding(300 plus).

Srxspec said:
I put a video up on how much "slop" is in the FX Nytro front end with the stock bushings. This was Fasttoy17's FX Nytro after 450 miles. I put an oilite front bushing kit in and it eliminated all looseness. This "slop" in the front end allows movement which can "tweak" items I believe. Look at how loose your front end is in between rides and watch it carefully!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXmIKW7VWjY

I agree 100%. Also, if you let the lower ball joints get really sloppy before replacing them your a-arms will start digging into the spindles.

I just picked up a nice used one for really cheap and after I got it home I noticed the ski tips are not even. The right ski is about 2" further forward than the left and the coil spring spacing in between the upper a-arms is different from side to side. 1 is almost rubbing and the other is about in the middle? Is this likely the sub frame issue every one is talking about and will Yamaha cover it? I still have warranty through next November and the sled is pristine with no signs of a collision of damage to indicate the previous owner had hit anything. Once I figure out how to upload, I'll post pics. Thanks

Mine is parked untill I get the upper ball joints shortened 2.5 mm and replace all of the sloppy bushings, etc.
Im not worried about the "weak" subframe as much as the stupid front end geometry. I wonder if the 2 issues have anthing to do with each other or related in anyway? Its like the engine weight and zero to positive camber is overstressing that poor subframe IMO.

chiefy said:
The front ends on these things are noodles. Ignore people that have zero miles on the fronts and have hit a rock. The bushings all around are wearing out super early under normal to somewhat aggresive riding. There is tons of slop after minimal riding(300 plus).
I dont know if that was towards me but I have 170 miles on my sled,I know its not alot but its not 0 miles.

2008 Nytro RTX said:
chiefy said:
I dont know if that was towards me but I have 170 miles on my sled,I know its not alot but its not 0 miles.
Yes and No. It wasn't meant specifically for you or negative really but rather i think there are a couple of issues on the front ends. Some people are tweaking these things from an impact and some seem to be having issues after slop develops in the front end after logging some miles. I had a bent lower A arm early on from an impact and have another slightly bent now from another minor impact. My larger concern is that the front end bushing and A arm ball joints are toast which allows quite a bit of movement. This is frustrating as my dealer is considering this all normal wear i.e. no warranty. I don't want to tweak something from all this play so need to replace bushings and ball joints on my nickle. That makes me sad especially since I finally have the thing handling close to my liking.
Anyway get out and ride that thing! You've got some more miles before it starts to really loosen up. Hope you are getting snow!

I have 1600 miles on my RTX and the front A-Arm bushings where it mounts to the spindle are shot! There is a copper type lining that the ball joint rest against inside the socket of the a-arm it was so torn up that it was hanging out of the socket and I just pulled it right out with my fingers. The sled will be going to my dealer next week for this. i ride aggressively on groomed trails in WI and MI. This should not happen. The a-arm is now bangiing on the edge of the spindle and the spindle angle is out of wack with all the slop in the ball joint. Very unnerving.

yep, backorder in Sweden aswell. Asked my dealer and he said it must be because they are working on a NEW one.. And then he said, Ride it like you stole it until we get the new parts!

Install Ulmer's oil lite bushings, weld upper and lower a arm bracing and weld brace on sub frame and you'll never have another problem. You can hit a tree with hardly any damage ( ask my partner !! )

Attachments

• sub frame brace.jpg
    sub frame brace.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 93

Back