• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ANOTHER Sidewinder Bent Tunnel

guess i don't really carry much of anything yet, either way puting supports on over the summer
That would be the smart thing to do especially if you plan on carrying anything.

How unfortunate. I have a Viper MTX that I really needed to put some storage on for the reasons already mentioned: a little fuel and basic backcountry safety supplies. I bought the machine because of the "legendary Yamaha reliability" that I expected to give me peace of mind in the backcountry. I heard there were tunnel issues so came here to find out how they were being reinforced.... really disappointed to see there isn't a good solution.

Oh brother new to the forum. Looking at getting a xtx141 or a btx153 where we ride having extra fuel is a must. I really wanted a new Yamaha just because the turbo 4 stroke is wild. I’m glad I joined the forum cus I think this changed my mind. If I would of spent 20k on a machine and the tunnel bent I would loose my sh**. This thread just took the wind out of may sails. I want a 4 stroke in a longer track but not at the cost of poor craftmenship. BRP might be getting my money again :(

I am testing reinforcement plates this season. Mine rivet inside tunnel. Working well so far.

I am testing reinforcement plates this season. Mine rivet inside tunnel. Working well so far.
Someone posted about your reinforcement kit in another thread recently too. Will it be available for purchase any time soon?

I’d like to get some more miles on it yet. Have a 4 gallon linq can on back of my ltx behind stock bag. All my testing was smooth trails...figures. Hoping to run some rough trails next week to really test.

I am going to chime in on this thread. I have a 2017 162" Sidewinder. I carry a tunnel bag on the tail that weights 25lbs when full, and its always full. This weekend it was the straps that broke on the bag case the trail to the step and deep was BRUTAL. I run hard and have no signs of a bent tunnel. Is it just the shorter sled that bend?

My tunnel is straight as an arrow and I do quite a bit of tail stands through drifts and over hills. Maybe just a few bad materials used on a line? I guess even a few dimples won't hurt my feelings I don't carry any weight on my tunnel though..

I did some practical testing with my 162 Viper this month. Bag on the tunnel that weighs 20lbs, Yamaha's "light duty" tow hitch, and a couple hundred pounds in tow. No bending or breaking. I was just towing some gear down a bumpy trail into a camping spot then fetching firewood. I was pretty gentle, going 50km/hr or less depending on how bumpy things got. I'm quite relieved that the tunnel held up to the occasional towing I bought the sled for.

I can confirm this problem exist on AC sleds as well. My 2019 XF9000 HC (eqvivalent to BTX) suffers the same issue. I have a Linq tunnel bag on the sled. But after some analyse this does not seem to be the cause.

On several occations I have noticed my sled bottom out the rear shock, typically high load low piston speed scenarios. After taking the boogie apart we noticed a few things.

1. The axle is heavely bent, probably because of excessive bottom outs.

2. Only every other hole has a rivet betwen tunnel and rear bumper. = not as strong as it could be.

3. Probably the bag is not the cause of the problem, likley the tunnel deforms as the axle bends.

Im not a heavy guy at 73kg so things should not bend because of bottom outs. So my shocks will be revalved for this season.
IMG_15771(1).jpg 20190731_001057.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone had cracks near chain case 2019 xtx 141

Attachments

• 9B18D79C-7F47-44B2-AD4A-1B6CC84FB6AD.jpeg
    9B18D79C-7F47-44B2-AD4A-1B6CC84FB6AD.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 308
  • CB42EAD9-833F-49E0-A94D-7ED984D3DD1E.jpeg
    CB42EAD9-833F-49E0-A94D-7ED984D3DD1E.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 306

Back