• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

anti ratchet drive wheels

nswsparky

Pro
Website
www.nsw4x4.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Phazer
I ordered a set of anti ratchet drive wheels for my Phazer that I put a 144" track in to. I was just wondering if there was any way to put these wheels on the shaft without a press?

A press is the best way, I have pounded them on before, Its not fun.
you can make a steel frame pretty easy and use a bottle jack, And you have a press.

Put 9 tooth Avid Anti Ratchet Drivers this summer on my 07 MTX instead of 8 tooth stock on MTX. Went for bigger drivers to lessen track approach and to run track looser.

yea I mostly got them to run the track looser. I always had trouble with the track ratcheting on my '00 RMK. it sucked being able to cruse around 99% of the time with no problems then get into the deep stuff and it starts ratcheting. And it should help slide wear, on my RMK I have gone though 3 sets of slides in a winter, I like to trail ride mostly.

I also got a 17 tooth chain case gear for my gt to bring it to a mtx gearing. I am waiting till next year to re-clutch.

Any rail trimming needed for the 9 tooth anti-ratchets? I think my freeride stretched out enough where I could fit a 9 tooth on mine now and go back to the 17t top gear.

I am running an 8 tooth and needed to trim the end of the rails about 2 inches.

do I have to trim the front of the rails for these for clearance? should I get anti stab wheels? I stabbed my track on my RMK it was not fun. I am having the local Yamaha Dealer install them on the shaft.

Deffinetly put the anti stab wheel kit on it would not be worth the damage and destroy your track. I cut my rails down flush with the hyfax so I did not have to drill and tap a new hole. A $100.00 is cheap insurance to ride without worring the first time you case something in the front. look at your rail tips and see the wear on them from the track hitting them. I have the 4 wheel anti stab kit from Wahl Brothers.

I might just get them. This is what happened when I lost a rail tip on my RMK. I was seeing stars after this one.
SANY0070.jpg

To replace or not replace... ?

On that subject, last winter (of course it was the last ride of the season) my front pivot arm snapped in 4 places and destroyed my new 1.5 free ride track that had roughly 800 miles on it. The broken arm chipped off every single drive knob, if you will, on the inside of the track. I've since purchased a set of 9-tooth wahl ex / involuted drive sprockets in an effort to still use the track. After closer inspection, it would appear that an entire window is missing, or about to be after some serious riding. What do you think? Run it in the grass a couple runs and see if it holds, or just bite the bullet?

Any help would be appreciated! - Think Snow!

Attachments

• 2011-10-31 15.26.26.jpg
    2011-10-31 15.26.26.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 103
Re: To replace or not replace... ?

leonar57 said:
On that subject, last winter (of course it was the last ride of the season) my front pivot arm snapped in 4 places and destroyed my new 1.5 free ride track that had roughly 800 miles on it. The broken arm chipped off every single drive knob, if you will, on the inside of the track. I've since purchased a set of 9-tooth wahl ex / involuted drive sprockets in an effort to still use the track. After closer inspection, it would appear that an entire window is missing, or about to be after some serious riding. What do you think? Run it in the grass a couple runs and see if it holds, or just bite the bullet?

Any help would be appreciated! - Think Snow!

Just toss that track -- it's useful life is over. The alternative will be bad, bad, bad......

And typically you are safer going to a larger drive wheel/ divers, like going 8 tooth to 9 tooth. It's when you go smaller where I've heard you need to watch out about stabbing the track, and should put wheels or something up by the rail tips.

Back