• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Any opinions on using header wrap on my pipe?

yamafarm

Extreme
I'm getting ready to instal a SMB pipe on my GT.
I have closed the tunnel top and bottom. I also have the factory side covers as well, I know on the race cars we used to wrap the headers to keep the heat in them. I am thinking about doing this with my sled.From the Y pipe to the silencer. (I see that the sled has a decent hotbox around the head pipes anyway)
Have any of you guys done this? was it worth it. I think that it would only help to control the heqat with the tunnel closed, and the covers.
As soon as I get my pipe I'll post pics.
:letsnow:

Later,
Will

i thought about this too. i didnt do it and i ahve both holes closed and no problems what so ever. if its idling after warm up for about 10 minutes the plastics get warm to the touch. not even close to warm enough to be scared. and they dont get any warmer.

some people have cut the sheild on the side of the sled where the rubber gasket like thing is, that would allow air to the pipe to cool a bit more.

but im not concerned about mine.

I' went ahead and got some One inch Header wrap from NAPA I'm gonna go ahead and try it. Will post pics soon.

Later,
Will

I did it.No problems other than a little smell when I first did it.After wrapping it I sprayed it with that silicone spraypaint they make for that purpose.I have about a 100mi on with it wrapped.Sorry but I didnt take a picture.

Back