• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anybody try a rope or strap to start?

apex yooper

Expert
I watched a guy start a Doo with a strap because his recoil broke. Has anyone tries this to see if it's possible with a 4 stroke?

Heard of it... I would wrap as much as possible around the primary, then hook the other end to a another sled and have it take it off... plenty of pull.

Don't think the sled will run without the battery. Had to boost mine once and it died as soon as I removed the booster. Left the booster on for 5 min while running and it stayed running when removed.

The strap/belt on the clutch of a 2 stroke is common. Done it many times. Even this past weekend. I'd hate to try pulling that cold block of metal,gears,chain,valves etc over. Warm may be a little different? Seems like a kickstart like the old 1,000cc Kawasaki bikes had would be a good idea.

rope start

On my apex we'd gone about 70 mls when we stopped for fuel went to restart sled battry was shorted wouldn't start via key. Always carry a one inch nylon strap in tool box took off clutch guard wrapped stap around primary one pull and it fired right, up suprisingly easy pull. only time I ever tried it. 40 mls back to the trailer no problems but I didn't shut off till it was loaded. Replaced the battery the next morning and everything was fine. Internal short or failure. :Rockon:

Doesn't take much to fire the injectors, its the fuel pump thats the problem and the reason why a cold-start would be impossible. After being warm, there must have been enough residual pressure in the fuel system to supply the fuel during the critical first couple of cycles.

If my sled stops running because of a dead battery and I have a rope, I'm using it to tow my sled back, not to start it. I ride with some emergency jumper cables also.

Two words for you all.
Jumper cables. or battery tender.

It is good to know about the strap. I personally would not think it will work. I might have to give it a rip

got a set of 6' jumper cables just in case. They are held in the spare belt holder on my wifes attak. works perfect.

starting

Unfortunately, I've done it a number of times when the machine is warm. Use a tool of some sort attached to the rope to pull with. The first time I tried to start it with the rope around my hand, it crunched it pretty good. I carry a rope with a starting handle affixed to it.

Back