• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone added extra wheels to save Hifax on their RTX

Nitrousman1

Expert
Just put new Hifax on my RTX and was wondering if anyone has added wheels to try and get a little more life out of them. Is there a wheel kit available from Yamaha or is there a cheaper alternative? Tried the search but I didn't find much info. Thanks.

Yamaha has a marginal snow wheel kit. I ordered it last year but haven't installed them yet. Wheels are small and I'm not sure how well they'll hold up.

Lots of info on the site as you can see above. Here is a pic of mine before I long tracked it.

IMG_4802.jpg

nlvmax- did you find it helped to add the extra set of wheels between the rear axle and shock wheels?

I have the same thing as NLVMAX, I actually think I got the idea and part numbers from his post as well (thanks!). In my opinion that is alot better then putting the low snow wheel kits with the tiny wheels there. Those little wheels dont seem to last very long. It helped hyfax wear, but the yamaha wheels are still too small in my opinion, I'm going to 135mm wheels this year.

Thanks. So it looks like what most have done is use the BRP mounts with the Kimpex Pro wheels correct? Do you use the BRP mounts for inside and outside the rails?

I am going to run the stock yamaha mount on the inside and try to get two bolt BRP mounts to work on the outside. If its too much work I'm just gonna use the stock mounts. If its easy I might use the BRP mounts on the inside. I dont think running the stock mounts will hurt anything, I haven't decided how hard I want to work. I bought all slydog wheels so I didn't have to do any of the machining or anything.

If you want to spend a little more money on at least two wheels, slydog 135mm wheels will fit right in for the inside wheels with the stock mounts. Its the easiest way to do it. $45 per wheel with bearing I think

Just make sure that you install these wheels in a spot where they do no interfere with the suspension components when it collapses.

Yes you can. You will notice that they will stick out a little further than the stockers due to the wider bearing.

Just keep in mind when spending $$$ on wheels....
That pair of sliders you're trying to save only cost about $30

I've used 2 sets in 5200 miles with a stock skid.

Thumper... as discussed before, some Nytros are getting good wear out of there stock skids, but most are not. So you are very fortunate. So keep in mind when spending $$$ on wheels... That pair of sliders we are trying to save only costs about $30... but when you have to replace them two times in a little over 500 miles it pays to spend the $$$$ on the wheels. Just in downtime alone its worth it... let alone the fact that in stock form I couldnt ride for a weekend without replacing the slides or worry about burning through to the skid (WHICH COSTS ALOT MORE THAN WHEELS AND SLIDERS) And from what I have seen, if you can afford to have a new nytro... you can afford to spend $$$ to get it right. It sucks but thats what we do. JMO

Back