• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

anyone using the mpi supercharger on a 2007 phazer?

snopro442

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
mod 08 nytro, 2-2007 phazers and a 2010 sno pro 500 speedwerx exterminator. new 2014 nytro for towing the snowcoach. 2015 Viper mpi turbo
I have a 2007 phazer that has been sitting in the garage for the last 4 years untouched. I came across a MPI supercharger for a real nice price and I need to know if anyone here is using one. The kit I found is set up for 110 octane fuel so I will need to know what I need to run it on pump gas and at sea level. Any info would be great.

you'd be best off contacting MPI. To run pump gas you are going to have to run lower PSI, which means a different pulley needs to be purchased.

I have a 2007 supercharged Phazer. The one thing you MUST do with this kit is install a Mountain Max or SRX secondary clutch as the original will not handle the power and upshift to quick. Do a search here on how to accomplish this. The low end power is amazing!!!! Make sure to put longer paddle track on and move skid back. Do these two things with boost and you will probably never let it go! They are FUN!

I have been researching this for months. I only found 1 shop that claims to have had success at this, but MPI doesn't make a phazer kit anymore and doesn't have a pulley to drop the boost. Some self professed experts say to run a head shim, others say the supercharger shouldn't have a head shim. IC or no IC ? What I would like is someone who actually has a supercharger at lowered boost to give some factual input.

I dont think you are going to find a lot of people with supercharged phazers running low-boost at low elevations, but I could be wrong. I dont have a blower on my phazer, and Im no expert, but I have experience with forced induction in the automotive side of things.

The reason you have to run race gas with the pulley it comes with is because pump gas would pre-detonate at the the pressure inside the combustion chamber. The higher octane of 'race gas' resists pre-det. Putting in a head shim acts to increase the size of the compression chamber, and therefore lowers the compression ratio. This allows either higher boost or lower octane fuel.

If you wanted to run pump gas and you cannot source a different pulley (MPI has to still have these, or at least point you in the right direction), the next best thing to do would be to rebuild the engine with lower compression pistons in order to still run 11psi on 91 or 93 octane. If that isnt an option, the next best would be to shim the head.

justforfun said:
I have been researching this for months. I only found 1 shop that claims to have had success at this, but MPI doesn't make a phazer kit anymore and doesn't have a pulley to drop the boost. Some self professed experts say to run a head shim, others say the supercharger shouldn't have a head shim. IC or no IC ? What I would like is someone who actually has a supercharger at lowered boost to give some factual input.

I usually don't answer posts with this kind of negative undertones but I will this time. Research superchargers and you will see why MPI says to put in a head shim to run lower octane fuel and NOT to put a smaller pulley on instead. (also note MPI only made this kit with one set of pulleys) I am not going to type out all the data supporting it look it up as you seem to doubt what "self professed experts" say. I would really suggest though if you wish to run low boost to go turbocharger, that system is much more "adjustable" if you change or alter the wastegate on the MCXpress turbo (NOTE: I have not tried this)

The reason boosted Phazers never caught on was issues with clutching as I have already explained. This "self professed expert" has a supercharged Phazer and a turbo Phazer with clutch fix as addressed above. Now I do have a small issue with supercharged Phazer with a boost leak I need to fix but other than that both of them rock.

My take after comparing both,
1. Supercharged Phazer has INCREDIBLE take off torque. Think RX1 take off power.
2. Turbo Phazer (after clutch fix) has almost no turbo delay but still takes off only a little better than a stock Phazer, but rocks after about 10mph.
3. S/C Phazer blows away turbo Phazer from standing start, Turbo Phazer comes on strong on top end. S/C Phazer losses some boost at altitude, turbo does not.

Because of the above the turbo Phazer is for sale and in my mind the supercharged Phazer is the ticket. Just my opinion though.

i made a front mount and run the stock clutches a the moment I'm getting a custom apex clutch built with a shockwave helix and it takes off better then a 900 big bore lol can't wait to see with the apex secondary and and it lunches at 8 psi!

You posted as I was typing. I'm sure you have read the numerous opinions from those that do not have a s/c Phazer. Please don't be offended as you have a s/c and can give real world answers. What boost do you see around 5000ft and have you had any problem with crankcase pressurization?

geez.

I guess I need to apologize for me and on behalf of anyone who doesnt have a supercharger phazer for trying to help you or provide some insight.

justforfun said:
You posted as I was typing. I'm sure you have read the numerous opinions from those that do not have a s/c Phazer. Please don't be offended as you have a s/c and can give real world answers. What boost do you see around 5000ft and have you had any problem with crankcase pressurization?

No problems with crankcase presurization, MPI kit comes with custom breather. I would suggest head shim and run the supercharger as it should be ran and is calibrated for. I run 10k and up altitude so my numbers are not going to mesh with yours, but I see anywhere from 9 to 11 lbs depending on where I am. I now have a leak I need to fix that is limiting me to 3 lbs boost and the Phazer still runs even up with 800 two strokes at 3 lbs.....lol.

But please note you will see many posts on the Phazer boosted sleds not working and if they have the original Phazer secondary that will be accurate. Also MUST add blow off valve to MPI kit as it did not come with one (see leak comment above). Without blow off valve you run the risk of creating leaks from excessive pressure if you pop the throttle off fast.

BUT, a boosted Phazer set up right is FFUUNN!!!!!! Imagine your Phazer with a lightweight RX1 engine in it and there ya go!

In my opinion, here are the musts

1. Head shim
2. Mountain Max or SRX secondary clutch
3. Blow off valve

DigitalFusion said:
geez.

I guess I need to apologize for me and on behalf of anyone who doesnt have a supercharger phazer for trying to help you or provide some insight.

Your heart was in the right place but your info was off a little bit. If you call MPI they will tell you to NOT try to change the pulleys for lower boost. Has to do with impellor speed and such and I will let them explain why, just important to know that is not the recommended way to do things according to the manufactor. That leaves you with head shim or more expensive route AKA pistons as you suggested.

Help in pointing in a correct direction is always welcomed by me in my posts but tech information I like to have quantified as to source or having tested myself. Sorry if my post was a little rough by the way.

I have an 09 phazer with MPI supercharger. I run an 80 thou head shim and run on premium fuel. 2500 km and no issues so far at 11 lbs of boost. I am running in Ontario at 1000 feet. Not to Hijack the thread, but anyone else find the GEMS controller a bit incosistant? Anyone have any settings for 1000 feet that are working well for them?

:sled1:

P.S. I am not a newbie just could not remember my old user name and passwrd.........just easier to create a new one. lol

Back