• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex battery feedback 14 series vs 20

No problem...hope this thread helps others......Yamaha made a big mistake spec'ing the 14 series battery for the Apex....krypes even most 2 strokes use a series 20 battery!! Wrong place to shave weight...especially on a big 4 cyl engine that has no redundant mechanism to mechanically start it.

Also during my research for both the bigger battery application and then searching vendors for a battery....there is much incorrect info/opinions/etc on the correct application....many will assume the "L" reverse polarity battery is what you need based on the fact that the RX1 used a "L" battery....as well many other sleds that use the series 20 battery use a reverse polarity "L" such as the Turbo Cat.

Knock on wood I have never had any problems with my 14 series. I replaced the original one start of last season for piece of mind with another 14 series however doing a 14 day trip end of February into march and I'd like a 20. I put old 14 in my riding lawn mower this spring and it worked wonderful.

Knock on wood I have never had any problems with my 14 series. I replaced the original one start of last season for piece of mind with another 14 series however doing a 14 day trip end of February into march and I'd like a 20. I put old 14 in my riding lawn mower this spring and it worked wonderful.

If you never ride below zero your unlikely to have a problem with the 14 batteries. You get to -20F and colder the battery struggles to crank these four strokes.

No problem...hope this thread helps others......Yamaha made a big mistake spec'ing the 14 series battery for the Apex....krypes even most 2 strokes use a series 20 battery!! Wrong place to shave weight...especially on a big 4 cyl engine that has no redundant mechanism to mechanically start it.

Also during my research for both the bigger battery application and then searching vendors for a battery....there is much incorrect info/opinions/etc on the correct application....many will assume the "L" reverse polarity battery is what you need based on the fact that the RX1 used a "L" battery....as well many other sleds that use the series 20 battery use a reverse polarity "L" such as the Turbo Cat.

You can wrap the clutch and pull start it if your in a pickle. Not easy to do especially in cold #*$&@ weather but practice in your garage as it could save your life.

Ive clutch started many 2 strokes ....broken recoils/ropes etc.... Not too confident it can be done if its too cold for the estart to do it?? Anyone EVER clutch started a Apex or Nytro from stone cold ??

I've done it in the garage and also during the summer outside at about 40F. I'm sure I could eventually do it if I had to in the winter but I'd probably drop 30 F bombs before it started.

Just a quick note to add. My '07 Apex GT came with 14 series battery and it wasn't enough in the cold - had to go to 20 series which was a perfect fit once the foam was discarded and that solved the cold starting problem. However, my '15 Apex SE also came with 14 series battery, but cranks much faster/longer in all conditions, using the same 0W30 synthetic oil. I've noticed it has a single red relay on the far left (as you sit on machine). I don't know if that's the difference or if it has a different starter, but it doesn't seem like this sled will ever need a 20 series battery. I don't know what year the change(s) in the starting system took place, but it's very noticeable.

Just a quick note to add. My '07 Apex GT came with 14 series battery and it wasn't enough in the cold - had to go to 20 series which was a perfect fit once the foam was discarded and that solved the cold starting problem. However, my '15 Apex SE also came with 14 series battery, but cranks much faster/longer in all conditions, using the same 0W30 synthetic oil. I've noticed it has a single red relay on the far left (as you sit on machine). I don't know if that's the difference or if it has a different starter, but it doesn't seem like this sled will ever need a 20 series battery. I don't know what year the change(s) in the starting system took place, but it's very noticeable.

New grounds,etc. might be a factor.. I keep everything sprayed with WD and never had an issue electrically in outboards,trucks,you name it in 36 yrs of using it.. Never an issue.. and it saved and brought back to life many a dead switch is used items I picked up.

That's a new style solid state relay for the fuel pump.

I just put a Yuasa YTX20H-BS in mine. Terminals are reversed as that was the only one they had. Had to fight with the positive but got it intalled. Bent the starter relay bracket over a bit and moved the positive lead on the relay a bit. Took out the foam. Cover fits but is tight. Hundred bucks US.
Jim
08 APEX

Last edited:
I just put a Yuasa YTX20H-BS in mine. Terminals are reversed as that was the only one they had. Had to fight with the positive but got it intalled. Bent the starter relay bracket over a bit and moved the positive lead on the relay a bit. Took out the foam. Cover fits but is tight. Hundred bucks US.
Jim
08 APEX

Don't understand.. mine took this one fine.just put it in last week. pos was in right place..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006B273OC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yuasa YTX20H-BS High Performance Maintenance

Just bought a Yuasa... the Chinese knockoff was 1/2 the price... Go USA!!! and our cousins to the north!!!
Just had to replace the OE Yuasa in a 2015 Vector my Dad has had since brand new. Absolutely dead out of nowhere.......said made in China on it.

Jim
08 APEX
Thats the battery with the L

Back