• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex chewing belts. Pics enclosed

If I remember right, somewhere I read 30 miles, another was 40 miles, so you are getting close, or GOOD to GO!.

rangermaxx said:
Buttons in the secondary were good, I took the secondary all apart and cleaned it, how many turns should I put back on that spring? I cant remember what I did but I took the sled out and it seems to be functioning as normal so I am guessing I have it set ok.

I got the weights moving freely now in the primary, reassembled the primary. Installed the belt back on the machine, ran it - seems to run smoothly.

Took it for a 30km ride, on take off the machine was bucking a little bit but once moving it was smooth.

I put a brand new belt on and the machine was smooth as can be, so that must have been the gouge in the old belt I was feeling. Put on about 65km on the brand new belt and the machine starts and stops smoothly, no bucking or hesitation. I never tried any high speed runs because I wanted to give the new belt a bit of time to break in. How long should I go easy on the belt for ?

If it is the stock setup it should be set at 3-3 which is 60 degrees. When you slide helix bushing through shaft twist until you just go past shoe ramps and then slide through the 3 studs and hand turn the nuts on and tighten.

Loading the sled again and the belt started smoking. I stopped immediately rolled the sled back, pulled the belt off and it's starting to get chewed again, not near as bad as my 2nd belt but it's getting glazed too. I'm pulling my hair as to what it could be 3 belts in a week :o|

rangermaxx said:
Loading the sled again and the belt started smoking. I stopped immediately rolled the sled back, pulled the belt off and it's starting to get chewed again, not near as bad as my 2nd belt but it's getting glazed too. I'm pulling my hair as to what it could be 3 belts in a week :o|

4700 miles hmm, but as stated you need to look at all your bearings, make sure the parking brake is released or not hanging up ad any other thing they may be causing this. One of your clutches sticking, a motor mount bad causing misalignment. Hope you get it figured out. If not take it to a dealer.

rangermaxx said:
Buttons in the secondary were good, I took the secondary all apart and cleaned it, how many turns should I put back on that spring? I cant remember what I did but I took the sled out and it seems to be functioning as normal so I am guessing I have it set ok.

I got the weights moving freely now in the primary, reassembled the primary. Installed the belt back on the machine, ran it - seems to run smoothly.

Took it for a 30km ride, on take off the machine was bucking a little bit but once moving it was smooth.

I put a brand new belt on and the machine was smooth as can be, so that must have been the gouge in the old belt I was feeling. Put on about 65km on the brand new belt and the machine starts and stops smoothly, no bucking or hesitation. I never tried any high speed runs because I wanted to give the new belt a bit of time to break in. How long should I go easy on the belt for ?

I'm telling you, you have a bad drive bearing or your parking brake is on. If this thing is destroying belts on take off something is holding it back. Did you check the bearing bearing the secondary? Are your sliders smoked? Track too tight?

" the belt just starts smoking with hardly any throttle applied as I am trying to creep it up maybe another foot onto the trailer"

The above statement you made is your problem. You do not try to creep a sled with light throttle especially when your skies are digging in going up. You are flat spotting your belt by giving it light throttle at engagement.

Try stabbing your throttle in short bursts with one hand hand ready to grab the brake so you don't overshoot your trailer.

Remove your secondary there are 3 bolts behind it that are used to adjust how far your secondary closes(for shimming ) these bolts keep the secondary from from fully closing normally. When they get worn(the end mushrooms) the belt rides too high in the secondary and hits the centre busing on the primary causing extra heat since it is always dragging ( it is more pronounced with a new belt and your new belt is showing signs of this as your inner nubs on the belt are showing wear). The bolts are part 8 on the secondary fiche I believe and cost about $2 each. Local dealer in town changes them ever 5000 kms.

Beech said:
" the belt just starts smoking with hardly any throttle applied as I am trying to creep it up maybe another foot onto the trailer"

The above statement you made is your problem. You do not try to creep a sled with light throttle especially when your skies are digging in going up. You are flat spotting your belt by giving it light throttle at engagement.

Try stabbing your throttle in short bursts with one hand hand ready to grab the brake so you don't overshoot your trailer.

My sled will smoke the belt too if I do that....Like Beech said, If you have to stop on the incline don't try to go forward again. Back it off the trailer and give it another shot. Get the sled rolling with some momentum. Or lock the parking brake and tilt the trailer down and then get that last foot--if you have a tilt trailer. These sleds are very heavy in the front and don't like to move when they're not in the snow...especially uphill!

I would think that if your bolts are worn and your belt was riding high on the secondary, you would know it because of the belt squeaking at idle due to the tightness. Your proper V belt position should be between 1.5mm above and .5mm below the edge of the secondary. But I would also think that before your belt started smoking due to carbides digging in on the trailer, that your track would spin, unless you are 450 lbs., with gear of course. Time to tell your wife you need a NEW TRAILER!! with less incline.

Like number1kyster said, Make sure you check the driveshaft bearing. If you have never changed it or greased it, then it is probably shot, and could be your problem

With the new 8dn-01 belt being designed to reduce the squeaking you most likely will not hear it squeal (I never did on my viper and my belt deflection was to much).

If you look at the clutch and the belt. On the belt the burn mark is not all the way up which means the clutch surface was not contacting it evenly. And as you look at the burn you see lines in the burn. These are due to the lower section of primary clutch where the belt is not usually supposed to ride. Also the shim bolts hit on a metal plate inside the clutch halves of the secondary, related hits due to the secondary closing all the way make the tips mushroom(his location is in ontario speed limit 50kmph about 30 mph and if there are lots of stop and go road crossings it makes you secondary close many more time). Also the high mileage on the belt if it was not shimmed during the wear period of the belt will make these bolts mushroom faster as the secondary will close that much harder.

I would still check your bearings as this is always good practice.

I have circled some of this in the photos below.

Attachments

• IMG_1082_zpsb85efa72.jpg
    IMG_1082_zpsb85efa72.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1090_zpsdd60de68.jpg
    IMG_1090_zpsdd60de68.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1096_zps3c1ee446.jpg
    IMG_1096_zps3c1ee446.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 447

Back