• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex clutch on Winder Question

ryama

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder R-TX
I went down the road of a Apex clutch on my Winder last year and had good results for the most part. The only draw back I have, is the engagement is jerky no matter how soft of a primary spring I run. I believe the issue is caused by excessive clearance between the belt and clutch face. Beside taking the clutch apart to change the split moon washes, a option not available to me for lack of specialty tools. How can I close this gap up?

Did you also switch everything over from sidewinder clutch to apex clutch, spring, rollers,and weights?

I noticed that with the Viper clutch I installed the area where the rollers go is narrower than on the winder primary. My gforce rollers wouldn't fit with washers so I went back to TP rollers and stock viper washers.

911 cover! HAS A SHEAVE adjuster on it.
Call Terry over at thunder clutching.
I think that's the route I will go, but the price of almost 400 Canadian dollars is the reason for this post. I was hoping I could find a more economical way.

Thunder told me to switch everything even rollers. I believe they're different sizes not saying that's the issue. I also would suggest the 911 cover I have it on both my apex and sidewinder.

Last edited:
I think that's the route I will go, but the price of almost 400 Canadian dollars is the reason for this post. I was hoping I could find a more economical way.
I have thought about buying a 911 cover too and the same reason as yours is the only thing holding me back lol.

One last thing. Is the belt have a lot of miles on it? A new belt might help some. But your two options otherwise are 911 cover or grunt tools and re shimming the spider.

I noticed that with the Viper clutch I installed the area where the rollers go is narrower than on the winder primary. My gforce rollers wouldn't fit with washers so I went back to TP rollers and stock viper washers.
I just put my g force rollers in my sidewinder clutch. Wow are those nice. I can tell the tolerances are really tight. They need to wear in a touch. But I’m really impressed with his rollers. DMC I believe you were one of the first to run these. I followed your lead. Sucks they don’t fit as I’m guessing they last forever?

I just put my g force rollers in my sidewinder clutch. Wow are those nice. I can tell the tolerances are really tight. They need to wear in a touch. But I’m really impressed with his rollers. DMC I believe you were one of the first to run these. I followed your lead. Sucks they don’t fit as I’m guessing they last forever?
They are very nice! I was hammering through TP rollers in a weekend, the Gforce made it through 2 weekends and still fit like new. Unfortunately they are now sitting in my clutch parts bin as they'll only fit the Viper clutch with no washers and that doesn't sit well with me cause I think they'd wear into the aluminum.

I bought a set of Gforce rollers also to try out. I've never really had roller issues however, as I got over 8000kms on my original set.
Let us know what you think. Mine need some miles on them. They are a little tight. Not worried but I’m pretty sure you will notice what I mean. Tolerances are really good. Imo.

Did you get the bronze bushings in those?

Back