• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Interesting clutch stuff, Viper clutches & floating secondary

Broken right at the thin weld. Arctic Crap? Or Yamaha?

Either way not good for clutch and belt temps or rpm spool up or the all important HP.

I suspect its been cracking for a while with the way my boost was spiking up and down on my logs.

View attachment 153090
Terrible weld! I'm not an aircraft certified welder but that looks like s%#@! Weld did not even penetrate to pipe, just flange.

Mike did you have to pull that pipe out of the sled to inspect it? Did you have to pull the gas tank to get out it? Or did you sneak it out without pulling the tank?

I just pulled the shield off to inspect it a few weeks ago when I did a intake pressure test at the same time. Looked at the bellows and the clamps and all looked good, but that's not say it hasn't been cracked for a while, I didn't inspect the weld other than on the top that I could see. I suspected a boost leak seeing my boost spiking up and down on my logs by more than normal. Noticed it was worse when pulling the RPM down and lugging the engine too.

Pulling the pipe is easily done without pulling the tank, you can get at everything right from the muffler side of the sled. Its a pretty crappy thin weld right there.

Last edited:
I just pulled the shield off to inspect it a few weeks ago when I did a intake pressure test at the same time. Looked at the bellows and the clamps and all looked good, but that's not say it hasn't been cracked for a while, I didn't inspect the weld other than on the op that I could see. I suspected a boost leak seeing my boost spiking up and down on my logs by more than normal. Noticed it was worse when pulling the RPM down and lugging the engine too.

Pulling the pipe is easily done without pulling the tank, you can get at everything right from the muffler side of the sled. Its a pretty crappy thin weld right there.

Thanks for the info Mike. I did a visual inspection of mine on the sled with a mirror so see as much as I could. Didn’t see anything noticeable. Thought I’d see black on the underside of the heat shield similar to my lower side panel if there was an exhaust leak. Maybe I’ll pull the pipe after my trip this weekend

Exhaust leaks can be detrimental to performance, so every so often I'll start the sled cold, (exhaust isn't hot enough to burn you) I put an insulated leather glove on and plug muffler outlet with my hand. This will allow you to hear any exhaust leak if it exists. If no leak, the sled with stall within a few seconds and you know you are good.

Well, Mr.Knapp, on the plus side, I'll bet your clutch and belt temps will be cooler!

Broken right at the thin weld. Arctic Crap? Or Yamaha?

Either way not good for clutch and belt temps or rpm spool up or the all important HP.

I suspect its been cracking for a while with the way my boost was spiking up and down on my logs.

View attachment 153090
Fire up the tig welder and throw a good beed on it and away you go

Back