• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex digital display issues

Blackapexse

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Apex se
I have a 2008 apex ltx gt and the mode button and select button do no work on the cluster?? I was trying to adjust the electric ohlin rear shock. The only button that works is tripometer. Any ideas what would cause this? Where I should look for issues?? Thanks.

did you check if the wires are still intact going to the shock?

hmm i know they where bad for breaking the wires off at the shock. quite a few have had issues over the years and some just removed it entirely and put a manual olin shock in.

Generally when the Mode button on the cluster does not toggle from the Shock icon to the Handlebar icon (ie. it stays on the Handlebar icon), that is either an indication your solenoid on the Ohlins is bad or you have a pinched wire. Good news is that either @cannondale27 or @hibshman25 sell a replacement solenoid if that ends up being your issue. Generally, if it was previously working and now it's not, I suspect the solenoid is shot. Although I've read numerous post on TY about others having issues with the shock wiring breaking where its routed in the suspension, I have yet to have an issue with the wire. The solenoid, on the other hand, is a different story as I am on my 3rd one but then again, the old girl has over 20,000 miles and she is still running very strong. ;)!

Ok thanks,I just bought sled so im not sure when or why it stopped working. Is there a way to manually adjust damper temporarily?

Outside of replacing the electronic solenoid and installing a manual adjuster like Travis of Barn of Parts offers, I'm not aware of it being able to be adjusted manually when the solenoid fails. Although I have always opted to replace the solenoid as I prefer adjustments on the fly, the nice thing with Travis' kit is that it's half the price of the solenoid. It would be nice if the shock defaulted to its middle setting but unfortunately, that is not the case. Just as it retains your last setting upon a start-up, it too will also retain the last setting the shock was adjusted to prior to its failure.

Outside of replacing the electronic solenoid and installing a manual adjuster like Travis of Barn of Parts offers, I'm not aware of it being able to be adjusted manually when the solenoid fails. Although I have always opted to replace the solenoid as I prefer adjustments on the fly, the nice thing with Travis' kit is that it's half the price of the solenoid. It would be nice if the shock defaulted to its middle setting but unfortunately, that is not the case. Just as it retains your last setting upon a start-up, it too will also retain the last setting the shock was adjusted to prior to its failure.
I don’t believe a manual adjuster is available for the Öhlins. Just for the RA Kyb.

If you do a search @Alatalo had posts years ago with part #’s needed to convert the EC Ohlins to a manual clicker. @bjowett also did some of these for some TY members, but I have no idea if this stuff is available anymore. I’ve had much better reliability with the KYB over the years, couldn’t manage more than a single season on a seal kit so gave up on the Ohlins.

I don’t believe a manual adjuster is available for the Öhlins. Just for the RA Kyb.
Good to know as I thought the only difference between the cable type RA adjuster and the EC Ohlins was that the one was being controlled by the dial on the side of the tunnel and the other one via the Mode button and the handlebar grip warmer buttons.

Even if the manual adjuster would happen to work, I would still opt to replace the solenoid as it will only set you back one Ben Franklin and is relatively easy to replace.

Solenoid1.JPGSolenoid2.JPG

I also used the following to route my EC Ohlins cable and like I said previously, with over 20,000 miles, I've never broke a single cable; either the solenoid's pig tail or the lead wire that runs thru suspension:

ShockWiring.JPG

I kept one adapter in case Ohlins stopped producing them. If they have stopped, it should be easy to whip a few out at this point… I have the numbers for the compression adjuster. The adjuster is fairly standard across many dampers, just shims and spring may require changing.
61CB5E27-DE77-469A-A077-96302354979F.jpeg

Well I found the issue....the harness from the shock that goes through the tunnel is missing. Do they sell this section of harness?

I kept one adapter in case Ohlins stopped producing them. If they have stopped, it should be easy to whip a few out at this point… I have the numbers for the compression adjuster. The adjuster is fairly standard across many dampers, just shims and spring may require changing.
View attachment 171024
I would love to talk to you about Öhlins and Tundras sometime. Never knew. Glad you still are around here!

Back