• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex drone

I have an 07 Attak GT. It drones some, but doesn't bother me.

I think it's just the nature of the beast with this exhaust. You could put an aftermarket exhaust on their, but then you'd be really loud. Even gutting the exhaust won't end the drone you speak of.

It's (the droning) never bothered me personally, but maybe that's because I just don't hear that well.....

I would say impossible to get rid of. Now that I got my 2011 its back again, the only way I got ride of it on my 07 was straight piping it. Honestly that noise was a helluva lot better than that drone.

I really hadn't ever noticed much of a drone on my Attak until 2 days ago. Ski bolt caught a rock and serious jacked the right front suspension, bent up most everything. Amazing how far you can bend a bolt and not have it shear off. Sled was still rideable, but just barely. Had to limp it back 80 miles, with 60 of that being RR beds. Couldn't' go much over 35 MPH and OMG does it drone at that constant speed. My ears were ringing like crazy. Tach was around 5500-6000 most of the time. I'm never at those low RPM's and I don't cruise that slow so I've never heard it before really.
So the drone may be a harmonic at low engine RPM's or speed related. I suppose you could cut open the muffler and change the length of the resonators in there.

As far as safety goes my eyes tell me what's around me. The only thing I worry about are other riders not seeing me at times. There is still alot of riders out there racing carelessly through our trails. The big size 13 works as a jousting pole to cure the oncoming idiots. Haven't used it yet, but it's waiting....

I like the drone. It does change and quiet down when speeding up a little.

As a child of the late 60's and early 70's It reminds me of the big blocks of the muscle car era. It is a sweet harmonious sound to my old ears and lets me know everything is gonna be alright!

I hear most of the sleds that pass me on the trail. The high pitch of the 2 strokes cuts right through.

I ride with a guy on Phazer MTX and his sled sounds a bit like a sewing machine when he gets near enough to try to pass me.

Or maybe the Phazer is like the sound of the old Mazda commercial - "...and the Mazda goes hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm".

Don't write me hate mail about this, I like the Phazers as the nimble critters they are. I wish I had one for play time in the trees.

The droning of the Apex is part of the charm of owning such an animal. Enjoy it.

slimjim2525 said:
Where does the drone on my 2011 apex eminate from and can it be fixed? Thanks

it's the combo of the 4 cylinder and exhaust system. It's not going away.... It's the nature of the beast..

Ya get used to it..and forget it after a short while.

I agree with stitch, the drone is a great sound that is addicting. I thought about using an I-pod but, I like to hear the other sleds coming down the trail.

The sound is annoying as Hell so the only answer seems to be just don't ride at that RPM. Tried hard to keep the beast to that RPM for first 100klicks for break-in but drone drove me nuts. Like a loadded up 2smoke. This motor is not happy at that RPM so just drive faster. Granted tight twisties tend to be a challange to keep revs higher, and Ontario speed limits fall just below 6000(LOL). But give her some legs and she sounds soooo sweet! :-o

Engine Drone

Have now reached 200 miles on my 08 LTX GT. That DRONE right around 5500-6500 is driving me crazy so much that selling it is crossing my mind. I used earplugs last weekend and that helped. I thought about clutching to change the RPM's at trail speeds. I don't know, Stearing issues, hand grip issues, now harmonics. That's quite a few issues for such an expensive machine.

Back