• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex droning noise

acera

I have an 06 Apex and it seems to have a very loud drone (annoying) at certain speeds and\or rpms (one for sure running around 29 - 39mph). I'm assuming it's coming from the exhaust (like you can get in a car with some aftermarket cat back exhaust systems)? So, is this what I'm hearing, can anything be done or what is this noise? Also, if this is the case will the 2011 with the EXUP get rid of the drone. I dealt with it since new but, just really noticed it this past weekend when I was switching between my Apex and my friends 600 etec.

I don't think its the exhaust and I know its not the track, I have rx1 complete exhaust and a 144 1in track with different skid and mine drones. Ithink it is an intake noise. We cut the box on my friends and it sounds mean but has an even louder drone.
That noise is a warning that your not driving fast enough

BETHEVIPER said:
I don't think its the exhaust and I know its not the track, I have rx1 complete exhaust and a 144 1in track with different skid and mine drones. Ithink it is an intake noise. We cut the box on my friends and it sounds mean but has an even louder drone.
That noise is a warning that your not driving fast enough

Interesting new theory on the drone!

I personally think it is a harmonic in the track, mine disappeared when I converted my 121 to a 136...

mbarryracing said:
I personally think it is a harmonic in the track, mine disappeared when I converted my 121 to a 136...

Interesting - anyone else have the same results when going to 136? Planning on stretching my 121 to 136 this Summer and would be thrilled to lose the drone as an added bonus.

My 07 Attak does the same drone. Horrific if you are following a tour group and you can't pass too easy. Track lenght has nothing to do with it. It's all engine harmonics.

My 2 cents on the track or tunnel 'drone' is that it is the open tunnel acting like a tuning fork and has inputs from all sources - track, engine, exhaust. I do wish I could get rid of it.

Hmmm wonder what a 128 would do to it.

Or exhaust turn downs.

Yamadoo

Back