• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex extra exhaust support fix

markddapexgt

Extreme
Last Season after replacing the famous doughnuts twice, replacing the cracked Titanium Y pipes with Stainless and repairing the Y connection where the muffler meets the Y pipes, the combined effect of all the throat lubrication (Low Temp Stella) I got through while doing these jobs caused me to come to the conclusion that the whole exhaust system may be needed more support. Then I saw the extra support mod made to the proposed 09 …right at the muffler Y. I wasn’t convinced that a single weld point would suffice and as I had my skid out to check the wonderful beef up job we did on the W arms further enhanced by Brian’s powder coating I decided to fabricate what I thought would be an experimental temporary support.
Well after 3000 odd miles I put the sled away and now have pulled the skid in prep for the coming season and the temporary mod has now been upgraded to permanent status. When I took it all apart the exhaust system including the Doughnuts was perfect so don’t know if this is helpful to anyone but its seems to have solved all my exhaust problems.
Pictures show top and bottom shaped aluminum clamps fixed to Y point whole assembly is supported by an extra support bracket I riveted to the chassis. The clamp and single bolt work exactly the same as the header support and bolts in that it is slotted to allow lateral movement and adjustment but when tightened fixes the clamp in position. It cost me about 2 old pieces of aluminum plate, a couple stainless bolts and about 12 bottles of upper throat lubrication.
Will see how it stands up this season but with about 3000 miles already it looks good.
If anyone is interested I have the skid out right now and the exhaust installed if you need more pix.

Attachments

• New camera pictures 254.JPG
    New camera pictures 254.JPG
    340.8 KB · Views: 81
  • New camera pictures 255.JPG
    New camera pictures 255.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 82
  • New camera pictures 257.JPG
    New camera pictures 257.JPG
    369.7 KB · Views: 83
  • New camera pictures 258.JPG
    New camera pictures 258.JPG
    365.1 KB · Views: 92

Thanks. Definately works - did about 3000 miles in just about every condition, Been lucky as all fixes including exhaust, W arm and steering seem to have held up.
Best Regards
Mark

that looks great. good pictures
good idea. i will do the same when i install my new stainless pipes

Just one thing you need to watch is the distance from the underside of the chassis to the top of the new support bracing. It needs to be enough so the Y pipes are in correct alignment but not too high that the support bolt sticks up above the top of the chassis. I should have used a domed Allen head with a lower profile really. Let me know if you need any more info.
Mark

Has any thought that maybe the cause to the y-pipes breaking is because they are too rigid in the sled? I was thinking that the tunnel is made to have a little flex and movement in it. I can see if those clamps are super tight were they would wear on the pipes. I thought of free hanging the exhaust y-pipes to give some play in there so they move with the muffler? Anybody agree or disagree with this thought?

Back