• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

apex gear

You welcome

BTW - would you please fill in your location in the user profile, site requirement :)

I do like a little top end. Its better to have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it I guess! Also will I need to cut my clutch??? I don't even know what that means? LOL!

What top gear would you guys recommend for running a 144"x1.25" track? I am converting my Apex GT to a 144 and was thinking 22? Should I maybe go 21?

rx1mountain, I contacted Al Ulmer when I stretched my Attak to a 144x1.5. He said if my clutching was OK, that a 22/38 setup would work good. He was right! Pulls out of the hole great and still backshifts like it had the 136 on it. I've seen 119 on the dreamometer as well. If you do this you'll need a 68 link chain. I purchased both from Ulmer and had it in 3 days!!

What does it mean when people say the apex can't pull the 24t gear? And what does cutting the clutch mean? I've heard people say that you'd have to cut the clutch to use the 23t gear. I have an 06 rtx.

Well.... the Apex will pull the stock 24/38 gearing but there is gains to be had by going with a lower gearing like 23/38. In stock form the Apex is geared too high to be able to run out of gear, you need N2O, turbo or SC to run out of gear with the stock 24/38 gearing. The Apex RTX is geared 22/38....

Cutting the clutch means to grind down the sheaves at the center of the primary clutch. This allows the sheaves to push the belt higher in the primary clutch before closeing at the center of the clutch. You will also need a prepared helix to allow the clutches to raise the belt high enough to shift into overdrive. Most 3rd party helixes are prepared for OD.
The net effect is a lower engagement clutch ratio while at the same time allowing a high clutch ratio for more top speed (or keeping top speed the same even when geared down).

So I waon't have to do that if I run a stock setup with a 23t gear right? Also I was reading that i have to run premium fuel with the 23t gear and a roller primary. Do I have to do it with just a 23t gear?

You do NOT have to cut the primary clutch! Some says so but it's not needed. You can gear down from stock 24/38 to either 22/38 or 23/38 without cutting the primary clutch, get a Dalton or any aftermarket helix that is prepared for overdrive and you will get a nice gain down low and still have a decent top end.

No need to run any better fuel than regular 87 US octane or 93 RON octane on a stock RX-1 or Apex engine.

I would have to answer NO to your last question, regular will do fine.

rxrider said:
You do NOT have to cut the primary clutch! Some says so but it's not needed. You can gear down from stock 24/38 to either 22/38 or 23/38 without cutting the primary clutch, get a Dalton or any aftermarket helix that is prepared for overdrive and you will get a nice gain down low and still have a decent top end.

No need to run any better fuel than regular 87 US octane or 93 RON octane on a stock RX-1 or Apex engine.

I would have to answer NO to your last question, regular will do fine.

Any suggestions which one to get? Do I even have to get one? Sorry, I know I'm a total noob. Can I just to a straight top gear swap?

Yes you can, just change the top gear from the 24 to a 23 or 22T gear. Remember tho that the 22T requires a shorter chain (68 links) - the stock chain is a 70 link chain.

If bottom end what you're looking for go 22T.

Is there noticeable difference between the 23 and 22? I know there will be some difference, but if I just go to the 23, I can still use my 70 link chain correct? I'd like a little top end still.

Back