• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex head porting?

I appreciate the referral, however I'm looking for real world experience with this one. I've already talked with OSP that is near me and has an outstanding rep. Just would like to hear first hand if its worth $100 per hp.

Would like to know more about that as well. With all due respect to Hurricane Performance, 20HP through head porting sounds too good to be true. Usually you can get an extra 3-5hp with just a good multi-angle valve job. A stage 1 port job on a modern 4-stroke head with valve job is typically good for 6-10 hp.

If there claims are accurate, I would be standing in line. Actually, I think the price on the work is $1200 if memory serves. That would put it at 1200/20=$60 per horsepower which is a great deal.

A yamacharger produces about 20hp on the apex and cost around $2200.

Porting update

I had the head ported and did some minor tuning updates to he clutching and fuel. I tested against a well running apex that i would run neck and neck with last year. This results were much improved as I never lost a race in 660 through a half mile. I would like to get the sled on an engine and track Dyno. Anyone know of a shop in the mid Michigan area?

BOUNTYHUNTER read that thread. There is no doubt in my mind that a good porting/valve job will add power and performance. Its just that 20hp, as I already stated, sounds awfully high. Now if ur adding thinner head gasket, ignition lead, exhaust work, and the entire package comes out to 20 or so, that's a different story.

Still, even if the increase would come out to say half of that (10hp), I would still be interested. I figure I gained about that much (on my 06 Apex) with the PCIII&ign box, ramair lid, and full excell exhaust. And all those items together cost much more than $1200.

Macheater said:
BOUNTYHUNTER read that thread. There is no doubt in my mind that a good porting/valve job will add power and performance. Its just that 20hp, as I already stated, sounds awfully high. Now if ur adding thinner head gasket, ignition lead, exhaust work, and the entire package comes out to 20 or so, that's a different story.

Still, even if the increase would come out to say half of that (10hp), I would still be interested. I figure I gained about that much (on my 06 Apex) with the PCIII&ign box, ramair lid, and full excell exhaust. And all those items together cost much more than $1200.

Absolutely.....there was timming sprockets/chain as well for that.

I remember cubby telling me it was a MONSTER for a NAE, NICE alternative to having a boosted sled

but that's just my opinion
:flag:

I agree, it isn,t just getting the head done, you,ll need a fuel controller and some other goodies as well. You,ll be into 2500.oo bucks pretty easy, if not more.

#1APEXRIDER said:
I agree, it isn,t just getting the head done, you,ll need a fuel controller and some other goodies as well. You,ll be into 2500.oo bucks pretty easy, if not more.

Agreed I did this before I came I went to the turbo.... Love the sound of a NA 4 cylinder
With 180 hp. Did the head port, valves, cam, high compression pistons..... All to get 187hp
It sounded like no other 4 stroke and was very fast however the turbo was ( at the end if the day) only 1 k more and it can spool up to 14 lbs of boost @ 260 hp -plus.
But it will never have that sound at idle....... Like a big block Chevy

Agreed I did this before I came I went to the turbo.... Love the sound of a NA 4 cylinder
With 180 hp. Did the head port, valves, cam, high compression pistons..... All to get 187hp
It sounded like no other 4 stroke and was very fast however the turbo was ( at the end if the day) only 1 k more and it can spool up to 14 lbs of boost @ 260 hp -plus.
But it will never have that sound at idle....... Like a big block Chevy
Got videos of That??

Back