• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex head porting?

Anyone have porting and cam timing adjusted on an apex? If so, was there truly a difference? Thanks for any info.
The same engine in a Motorcycle puts out 200 HP @ 14,500 RPM Snowmobiles work a lot harder than a motorcycle that's why Yamaha set them up to put out 150 to 165 HP at 10,500 RPM .. Obviously more aggressive camshaft higher compression ect.. will add some HP ..

The same engine in a Motorcycle puts out 200 HP @ 14,500 RPM Snowmobiles work a lot harder than a motorcycle that's why Yamaha set them up to put out 150 to 165 HP at 10,500 RPM .. Obviously more aggressive camshaft higher compression ect.. will add some HP ..
Apparently the r1 cams are the same as the apex. So does anyone know how you increase the redline and power peak on a turbocharged apex motor ?
I want to get the different gesring on the crank to run the engine at 12,000rpm.

Apparently the r1 cams are the same as the apex. So does anyone know how you increase the redline and power peak on a turbocharged apex motor ?
I want to get the different gesring on the crank to run the engine at 12,000rpm.
Is this a full race sled or trail sled? 1st gen or 2nd gen Apex engine.

If it's a trail sled, there's no reason IMO to go to the trouble and EXPENSE that you would be getting into. With a turbo, and depending on how much boost you're running, the engine is already being pushed beyond its design limits. Yes, Apex engines have proven very durable in boosted form. But, almost always turning stock rpm's. And the 1st gen Apex engine generally has a reputation of being a bit more durable (pistons) then the 2nd gen engines.

If its a full race engine, your likely running higher boost. The sky's the limit for hp and price.
In addition to hotter cams, you'll likely need better valve springs, rods, and pistons. A way to disable the rev limiter, which I think comes in around 11,300 or so. Plus, as you mentioned, different gearing to slow down the clutch.

I'm just scratching the surface of some of the mods you'd be getting into.

If you have the knowledge and skill set to do all or most of these things yourself, that would cut the cost greatly. If you have to pay for most or all of this work, you'd likely go into sticker shock!

My 2 cents worth, don't pursue this unless you have a great deal of time and money to spend making it reliable.

This engine never spun that high in a bike.
It was the newer R-1's with shorter stroke that did.
The Phazer spun over 11000, as it was 1/2 of the 2006 R-1 engine.
The newest R-1's are even shorter stroke than those.

With the rev limiter removed, a stock Apex is capable of making the very broad horsepower from 10,000 all the way to 12,000 rpm. This is a stock exhaust, stock motor, etc sled, I did move the ignition timing around and move the rev limiter. But it made 159.5 at 10,000 rpm, a peak of 166.3 at 11,000 rpm, and still made 163.3 hp at 11,500. So that was only a 6.8 hp change from 10,000 to 11,500.

scan0003-jpg.42913

scan0004-jpg.42912

Back