• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex Mtn clutching

errol

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 SW B-TX LE 50th
I have a red Apex Mtn on order and would like to know if the stock clutching is setup for a specific altitude! If so, at what altitude and what should I do since I will do most of my riding at 3000 feet of elevation!

Thanks!

Dont know yet. In the past, there mountain sleds came jetted for sea level and clutched for 6,000ft. Jetting is not an issue and I would say clutching will be close enough to ride untill you get it dialed in. I have take my warrior from 900 feet up to 11,000 ft with NO changes and its wasnt perfect, but very ridable......Try that with a 2 smoke!! ===SRXSRULE===

errol, I am leaving my Mtn stock to start. I ride the same elevation as you (real close) and If I start making changes I will let ya know.

All mountain sleds come jetted for sea level and clutched and geared for 8000 ft. The dealer you are getting the sled from should be able to clutch and gear your sled for the altitude you ride at according to yamaha's specs. It is a good starting point to do your fine tuning. The apex is using an all new weight design for this year with three rivet holes.

Thanks Everybody! Talk to my dealer and he is willing to let me try it with the stock clutching but doesn't not recommend it! He will order all the parts to set up the clutch for 3000 feet. I will wait to get more info or setup from anybody here!

By the way, is there anybody that had the chance to weigh the sled fully wet yet ???

Errol

I will post the specs on mine, in the next couple of days... Dunno if West coast sleds have the same set up as mine. Errol, Yamaha claims 619 dry in the service manual, and the YTZ-10 battery is 5 lbs lighter than the stocker. Maybe your dealer will let you swap them for the $ difference.

Here is what I received from Yamaha Canada regarding recommandations
for sea level (under 3000 feet) clutching ang gearing for the Apex Mtn!

STOCK
Gearing: 20/40
Ramps: 8FS-00
clutch weight ext: steel 13.3mm with holes
clutch weight center: steel 13.3mm with holes
clutch weight int: none
primary spring: yellow-pink-yellow
rollers: 15.6mm
Secondary cam: 45 degree

SEA LEVEL
Gearing: 22/40
Ramps: 8FP-00
clutch weight ext: steel 17.2 mm
clutch weight center: steel 17.2 mm
clutch weight int: steel 17.2 mm
primary spring: white-silver-white
rollers: 14.5mm
Secondary cam: 51-43 degree

For those clutching/gearing expert what do you think of the sea level recommandations ???

Should I leave stock and work from there or do the changes ???

Thanks

Errol

Start with yamaha's sea level set up. It will be a good place to start. If you leave it as it comes from factory, the engine will severly over rev and performace will be slugish. The motor will be screaming its brains out, but the sled wont do much. At 8000 ft (stock set up) you lose about 20 - 25% of your horse power, so the set up compensates for the loss on power. Dont run stock set up at lower elevation, especially at breakin!

Better hope you don't need new Apex weights... Yamaha says retail is $100 EACH!! Ouch.

If you go from the 6k setting (stock) to sea level, you need weights, rollers, secondary cam, spring and rivets... At this point I plan on keeping the stock set up and getting a aftermarket set up for sea level. I forgot, I am sooo glad I did not get reverse, as the gears are pricey too.

Back