• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex Oil Change

im by no means a great wrench but I followed these directions and completed this job in a few hours. Honestly the worst part is getting the air box back on and the clamps to cooperate . Great directions appreciate them. Next time it will be half the time.

WD-40 on the boots and they slip right back on and get a set of ball end Allen sockets with the long stems and the clamps become a breeze too.

silicone spray works for me.

Correct I used WD40 and had the ball end wrenches which helped a ton. I just had one of the rubber covers that just didn't want to stay on when I tightened it down it (the clamp) would come off the rubber boot. What I ended up doing was wiping off excess WD that worked it way under the clamp and then tightening each of them little at a time and then moving to the next rotating thru that sequence a few times and it held.

I've never lubed the boots, they slide right on. I don't have a ball end set of long allens I just a standard long set I picked up somewhere. For the oil plug I use a 3/8th drive and a socket allen

Charley you can get by with this because of your small delicate hands that can fit in places where others can't LOL

I decided NOT to say anything about never having a 'ball end set'. Nope would not touch that one.

upload_2017-6-2_8-6-2.jpeg
Sasquatch having a snack on the Trail !!
upload_2017-6-2_8-6-2.jpeg

If I'm not mistaken, at least on my 08 Apex, not only is there a notch for the hose clamp to position correctly, but I also thought there was a notch on the air box for the intake boots to be positioned correctly. I currently have the air box off and will have to confirm this when I get home tonight

Last edited:
Yes there is a spot in the clamp where a little rubber tab on the boot fits in to align it.

Correct, but I also thought there was a tab on the air box where the rubber boot is suppose to fit into. My comment was in reference to jagabom spinning the boots so that the allen head bolt on the clamp is closer to the top. Just as I thought the clamp needs to be aligned with the rubber tab on the boot, the boot needs to be aligned to the tap on the air box. Again, I could be wrong and will check but wanted to throw caution to re-positioning the boots.

Here's the notch on the air box I was referring. Whether or not there would be an issue spinning the boot to orient the clamp bolt closer to the top remains to be seen but I was fairly certain there was one. Although Yamaha probably had a good reason to put that notch there, I'm not really sure there would be problem with rotating the boot like jagabom had done.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 186
with the right tool there is no need to rotate them so I never did.

Back