• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

APEX RTX Skis ?????????????

kotapug

Expert
I ordered the 13 mm sway bar from Pioneer (can't wait to get it) but was wondering what skis have been working the best and where to buy? I shimmed the factory skis and put 10" woodys on them and it helped but is still really hard to steer.My friends REV's you can steer very easy so just wondering on a great setup so they cant catch me in the corners LOL.

kotapug said:
I ordered the 13 mm sway bar from Pioneer (can't wait to get it) but was wondering what skis have been working the best and where to buy? I shimmed the factory skis and put 10" woodys on them and it helped but is still really hard to steer.My friends REV's you can steer very easy so just wondering on a great setup so they cant catch me in the corners LOL.

Wow! I don't think 10" of 60 degree carbide is going to do anything to decrease steering effort. I don't even like 6 inches on my unstudded Apex GT.

"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...". Consider getting a pair of SkiDoo skis. A lot of people here use them on their Yamahas and really like them. Do a search on "pilot"

I know that did not help but that is what the YAMAHA dealer told me to put on . I'm not happy after spending $100.00 to make my ride worse that is the reason I am asking you fellow riders for the best set up. The factory carbids would not get any bite at all and now these tend to get to much.Also those are the carbides woody's suggested.

kotapug said:

I have slydog powerhounds and like them alot. They steer easy and handle powder and work great on groomed trails. Plus the darting is almost entirely gone.

I am sure there are other good skis as well. I purchased them from Kyle at www.kjmotorsports.com

Good Luck,

Brad

I can't speak from experience because I'm still waiting for a set of Powerhounds to be delivered. I'd never heard of them, but in looking for ski replacements, they're the ones I found here and HCS where the user reviews were most consistently positive.

I put the Slydog trail skis on mine and have no regrets. The only thing that was goofy is that Slydogs work well when the front of the ski is shimmed, and the skis are toed in 1/8"-1/4". Almost all of my darting has been eliminated and they steer and float so much better than stock.

RTX Skis

I have Ski Doo Pilot 5.7's on mine and they are fantastic. I have 6 inch Ski Doo Extreme 60 degree carbides in the center and 4 inch shaper bars on the outside. Suspension is set up with cams at max, limiter straps one hole tighter than stock and front shocks at 37 pounds. Never handled better. No ski lift to speak of, easy to steer and rails around corners. Might yet stiffen up main shock but waiting to see if I need to and debating on a 12mm sway bar. I weigh 230# without gear.
You can get the whole ski set up from Planet Powersports, 517-278-5557. They have a package deal, best price I could find. You'll need an adapter for the Yamaha but it's no big deal to swap them out.

I heard that the new pilots only have the single carbide . Do you know if they are better than the duel? Planet does not have any and they said they dont make a kit for the new style .

kotapug said:
I heard that the new pilots only have the single carbide . Do you know if they are better than the duel? Planet does not have any and they said they dont make a kit for the new style .

My 08 pilot 6.9's came with just the center carbide set-up. The out side carbide mounting area is there, all you have to do is drill it out. Took all of 2 min. I'm guessing the 08 5.7 pilots are the same.

i have had my floats at 40 last year and this year ,the other day i dropped the pressure down to 25 just to try it,wow,whole new sled,i can believe they come from factory set at 70 ,no wonder they act so bad,the good thing about the floats when you go out banging you can just add 40psi and blast away then when you wanna cruise,let them back down and relax and enjoy the sights

for more info on the piolets check the skis, studs, and aftermarket forum. http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewforum.php?f=30 it will also tell you what rubber bumper you need. i have the piolets but havent put them on yet waiting on carbides from scott. not to hijack this thread but is it really 'ok' to run the floats at 25ish psi? the books says '50 to 150 psi'

kotapug said:
I just recently put on Pilot 5.7 ski's on my 06 Apex ER and have about 300 miles on them and really like them. The steering feels very light, yet grips the trail well. What I did is order the Pilot 5.7 upgrade kit which is in the 08 Ski-Doo parts and accessory catalog, page # 73. The kit lists for 239.99 U.S.. The kit comes with ski's, carbides, ski-handles, mounting kit and stoppers. The stoppers are the correct ones for the Apex application. The Ski-Doo part # is 860200165 for the black ones. If your dealer sells Ski-doo as well maybe you could work a discount with him. I actually used the Apex mounting bolts for mine, I shaved just a little off where the ski's mounts to the ski arm for a good fit. I used the Studboy 6" shaper bars in the middle and the Ski-Doo 4" carbides that come with the kit on the outside. You do not have to trim the stoppers.

Back