• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex wont start

ErikS

Hi guys... I dont post alot on here, but im in need of help... my apex will not start/run. If it does start, it burps and back fires... i have to hold the throttle and give it gas to stay running, all the while, filling the garage with smoke... heavy gas smell... rich... and as soon as i let off the gas it dies. Now it will not even start at all. Just turns over, and will not fire.
any help would be great, trying to sell a sled that wont run, is kinda pointless haha

Sounds like you fouled the plugs. It is not hard to do on the 4 strokes if you start and stop them too often in the garage during off season. I'm betting if you put a new set in it will pop right off. I fouled the plugs on my Attak when it was new and I couldn't get enough of hearing the sound.

ErikS - I've moved your thread to the appropriate forum.

You will get way more traffic in the Apex/Attak forum.

rxrider
TY Management

It's maybe caused by water in the gasolin and that the gas has detoriated during summer. Drain the tank, while at it look for water at the bottom of the tank. Fill up with new fresh fuel. With the plugs out crank the engine some to blow out any excess fuel from the engine. Check the airbox, open it and have a look inside.... you never know. Install new plugs and it should start.

If you FOULED it...change your oil! I wouldn't take the chance, to preserve your gas use SEAFOAM, pour in 6oz. in a full tank and let it warm up and shut her off...every time you start her up make sure to get her nice and HOT, let it run for at least 10 min. not to the point of overheathing, just feel the rads under the floor boards, get them TOASTY hot and your good.

if it is flooded to clear it out apply the throttle to wide open then turn the key on to start this will turn the fuel off to the injectors then it should start after turning over do not turn over for more the 15 seconds as the starter will get hot let it cool for 15 minutes and retry For EFI only

rxrider said:
It's maybe caused by water in the gasolin and that the gas has detoriated during summer. Drain the tank, while at it look for water at the bottom of the tank. Fill up with new fresh fuel. With the plugs out crank the engine some to blow out any excess fuel from the engine. Check the airbox, open it and have a look inside.... you never know. Install new plugs and it should start.

you should hold the throttle wide open when you crank it over. otherwise the fuel injectors will just keep firing and youll just keep filling the cylinders with fuel

mork110 said:
if it is flooded to clear it out apply the throttle to wide open then turn the key on to start this will turn the fuel off to the injectors then it should start after turning over do not turn over for more the 15 seconds as the starter will get hot let it cool for 15 minutes and retry For EFI only
sorry i missed your post :drink:

Interesting contradiction/thoughts here. ?

I have never heard of a function that the injectors will turn off if you hold the throttle at WOT and turn on the key. I have used and heard of opening the throttle to allow more air in to lean the mixture. Usually WOT works. If it does not work, then the plugs are too wet to fire. Actually, I have taken out plugs and heated them with a propane torch to dry them. Reinstalled them, and been good to go without the cost of a new set of plugs.

Bad gas is possible. But if it was running the last time, w/o adding any fuel, why would the gas act up that bad in a couple of months? I have forgotten the stable a few times for all summer and the sleds still ran. Just have to get new fuel in there before you run it down the trail.

Starting and not allowing the engine to come up to normal operating temperature can cause the plugs to fowl. Especially, if your blippin' the throttle as it is warming up. If you start it in the summer, let it warm up to operating temp. I do this every month and have avoided cleaning carbs for 4 years. Finally broke down and cleaned them this last spring. But it was still running just fine. I can’t see your injectors being more sensitive. Mine have never been, in the past.

Sounds like you fouled out a set of plug and my be time to replace them. Did the same thing with mine and poped in a new set of plugs and no more problem. You have to be careful starting int he off season, I know your buds want to hear it and all but if you do start it make sure it gets good and warmed up or you will foul plugs.

Back