• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

APEX08 vs NYTRO08 vid

Just so we are clear - buy what you want, what brand you want, whatever. I honestly don't care. But I do not like the spread of misinformation.

That said - the Nytro wins the first (close race) and 3rd races (by at least a sled length or two). The Apex waxes it in the 2nd, but it looks like the Nytro let off at the end.

You need to watch the video again. The Nytro has a good showing.

silversurfer said:
Just so we are clear - buy what you want, what brand you want, whatever. I honestly don't care. But I do not like the spread of misinformation.

That said - the Nytro wins the first (close race) and 3rd races (by at least a sled length or two). The Apex waxes it in the 2nd, but it looks like the Nytro let off at the end.

You need to watch the video again. The Nytro has a good showing.

Huh, I just watched, and listend to the races again.

First off I assumed the launch scene and then the first finsh line scene were the same race (I may be wrong)....if they are not, how can you tell from the launch scene that the Nytro won (you can't possibly be able to distinguish who is in front)?

Second, do you not have sound on your computer? The two races that you can actually see the sleds FINISH the announcer says the Apex won by 6 sleds and then 4 sleds.

Lastly, the article says that they ran 2 different Apex's and Two Nytro's and the results were about the same each time...which to me leads me to believe that the Nytro NEVER won a race

I am not dogging the Nytro by any means, and I really do want one, and like I said this race to me is too long for the Nytro...BUT I just thought it would be closer.

Edit: Deleted post. I was wrong, sorry. The Apex does beat it every race, but the Nytro is ahead in the first....for a while.

This video confirmed two things: The Apex is faster on top-end. The Nytro can hang with it till 90 or so. /shrug. It was never marketed as a lake-racer....

Been there done that. Did some drag racing on that strip myself where they did those tests. Thats a long way down from the start. Trust me from being there first hand it takes the apex ALOT of lake to catch the nytro and it pulled the apex bad every time to 70 mph.

a7m266d said:
Been there done that. Did some drag racing on that strip myself where they did those tests. Thats a long way down from the start. Trust me from being there first hand it takes the apex ALOT of lake to catch the nytro and it pulled the apex bad every time to 70 mph.

The Apex GT/ER gets beat bad out of the hole by an Attack and never catches it in a race that long. Put a 23 top gear and clutch in the Apex GT and it will win by even greater distances. A better race would have been an Apex RTX (lower gearing than GT) against the Nytro FX.

Maybe you guys missed the start,but the guy on the nytro got the hole shot,and most likely did every time,generally if someone is quick off the line once he generally is everytime,that along can cost the apex or any machine that gets waxed off the line some serious catching up to do,and if you lose by 1-2 sleds off the line in 660 you may be just catching up,and by 1/4 mile barly 1 sled past and by 2,000 ft or closing in on 1/2 mile maybe 4-6 sleds if you pull really hard thru upper mid to top,so is the nytro really 138 hp? and are all apexs 150? who knows what real world results will bring,dont forget the extra weight loss the nytro has may not help all that much on top end to an apex,sense it is a ditch banger and sets up higher and is less aerodynamic,as this plays alot more into top speed,heck the nytro does not even have a windshield on the one raced,and if any of you top end guys know,who are trying to break 120 mark,try a taller windshield for better speed! Yes it does work to an extent,i think yamaha has a homerun with nytro in the woods it will smoke an apex,and maybe even stay close to the new revxp out on a lake,both apex and xp will run away from it,now i thought we all knew that would happen anyways!!!

That didn't surprise me at all either, try that on a 5 mile lake run and the Apex will just continue to ride off of in the sunset... Thats like comparing apples to oranges

Also, it looks like the way they take off is the Nytro has the weight transfer set to max and the Apex is set to min, that will help the Nytro alot and it would take the Apex a while to catchup.

I'm not sure what they wanted out of the video in the first place?

If they wanted the Nytro to look good, they should have ran a shorter distance!

BR

COLDONE said:
I'm not sure what they wanted out of the video in the first place?

If they wanted the Nytro to look good, they should have ran a shorter distance!

BR

I don't think this was an official Yamaha promotion for the Nytro's abilities; I agree, I think they would have ran a shorter distance too.

To Me it just looks like some guys screwing aroung on the lake, lining them up to see how they run against each other. The Nytro is not going to beat a Apex. Hell, from that video I'm pretty impressed with how the Nytro did. I get the feeling everyone is wishing the Nytro to be this lake screamer or some kind of over acheaver to run side by side with the Apex. What are you guys looking for? Out of the hole they will probably be trading paint but that's the best I think you can hope for....... Anyway I think the video looks pretty good.

Thats exactly what it was...a bunch of guys (dealers) runnin' an informal race to see how the Nytro's and Apex's stacked up against each other. There was no formal measurement of the track length nor did every rider have drag racing experience...Just a three count and GO! I'm on the Apex in the last race and was ahead the whole way. The next time I ran the Nytro 40th and launched hard out of the hole taking the apex by a few lengths and maintained it to the finish. The Nytro consistently won the holeshot and the Apex had more legs on top end. The track was very rough and I don't think every rider was holding it pinned the whole way in the name of safety and common sense. I unfortunately lack common sense ;)! and held that puppy WFO thru the rough stuff and it ate it up... :4STroke:

On the trails the Nytro was everything I thought it would be
The 40th Apex GT with ohlins was by far the best riding sled I've been on (caliberation was bang on).

The Phazers were better in the corners and still reign supreme when it comes to fun factor in the tight and twisties. No more snow/ice build up on running boards and I think the RTX should please the big bump crowd with it's better shocks/caliberation.

The sleeper of the ride had to be the Vectors, these things really impressed me. Must be the lighter engine and lower mounting points, all I know is the Apex may have more raw power but the Vector absolutely shines in this new chassis.

Which sled would I get?
Well, because my riding style is heavily influenced by my racing (snowcross) I would definitley go with the Nytro RTX or the Phazer RTX. If I was a sit down style rider I would go for the vector with RA or apex w/ohlins.

Hope this helps

frees-tyler said:
Thats exactly what it was...a bunch of guys (dealers) runnin' an informal race to see how the Nytro's and Apex's stacked up against each other. There was no formal measurement of the track length nor did every rider have drag racing experience...Just a three count and GO! I'm on the Apex in the last race and was ahead the whole way. The next time I ran the Nytro 40th and launched hard out of the hole taking the apex by a few lengths and maintained it to the finish. The Nytro consistently won the holeshot and the Apex had more legs on top end. The track was very rough and I don't think every rider was holding it pinned the whole way in the name of safety and common sense. I unfortunately lack common sense ;)! and held that puppy WFO thru the rough stuff and it ate it up... :4STroke:

The 40th Apex GT with ohlins was by far the best riding sled I've been on (caliberation was bang on).

The Phazers were better in the corners and still reign supreme when it comes to fun factor in the tight and twisties. No more snow/ice build up on running boards and I think the RTX should please the big bump crowd with it's better shocks/caliberation.

The sleeper of the ride had to be the Vectors, these things really impressed me. Must be the lighter engine and lower mounting points, all I know is the Apex may have more raw power but the Vector absolutely shines in this new chassis.

Which sled would I get?
Well, because my riding style is heavily influenced by my racing (snowcross) I would definitley go with the Nytro RTX or the Phazer RTX. If I was a sit down style rider I would go for the vector with RA or apex w/ohlins.

Hope this helps

Great post. Thanks!

Do you know how the Nytro will stack up against sleds from other manufacturers, by any chance?

frees-tyler said:

Which sled would I get?

Hope this helps

Bless you 'frees tyler', you nailed it!!! The conversation was getting off target, but your comments are right on the money. I'll be posting an update regarding 'Snow Shoot' on the blog. Jon is there right now in Grand Lake and has made some interesting observations regarding all the 08's.
Thanks for making your post .... CR

Back