• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Arctic Cat rear suspension

nytroERrider

Expert
Alright guys i have some questions.

I want to know how much work is it to change over from the stock suspension over to a zl rear suspension or any arctic cat skid for that matter.

Do you have to make different mounting brackets or anything?

New to this suspension thing, any help would be appreciated

Thanks alot, Jake

I'm working with a guy installing a 99 T-Cat suspension in his '07 Apex RTX. On this one, yes new rear plate required, but the new part is nothing special. Just an alum. piece maybe 5"x7"x3/16"

Not a bad project so far. It's all measured up just getting ready to install. New mounting points in all 4 corners.

Do you think you could take pictures of it if its not too much to ask? Of the rear suspension mounting, and the front. I have no clue where to measure from or anything. The pictures would help me out alot.

Thanks, Jake

No pics yet

I can get you going with a couple of good reads. The first is a "sticky" from just above this note. Check it out. It's not specific to the Cat conversion, but will tell you what we're looking at to do a conversion:

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=33033

This one shows the ProX dims on a friend's website:

http://www.jbshocks.com/edgeswap/proxmount.jpg

Again, not specific to yours, but should give you some idea of what's going on.

The driveshaft to front mount, and front mount to rear mount dims are critical, and derived from the suspension donor sled. I wouldn't change them much. The tunnel height dims are a little more forgiving - but are generally where people have the most trouble. Doing the "I want it to look like a Snow X machine" thing is a bad idea....
Front mount height must stay in an arc the proper distance back from the driveshaft to maintain proper track tension.

Keep in mind the front and rear heights are closely related to get proper transfer and front/middle/rear weight distribution correct.

Go for it! Don't be shy. Holler if you have more questions. Be happy to help you here or via email/PM. -Al

There is NO comparison to stock. I actually have travel with this set up! lol
I left the act shocks in that came with the skid as well as the original springs. I added an oversize billet adjuster block also. That skid is sprung already for the weight of the T-cat so it was a perfect fit. Also seeing as how it's a mountain skid the transfer is super.

Very interesting.
I would love to see some additional pictures of the mounting locations on the RX-1 with the Cat suspension....maybe close-ups.

I am working on a 2007 Apex RTX and installing a '99 T-cat rear suspension (121").
I have some of the dimensions and it looks like a pretty easy install.....I just need to get it done, I have been waiting on parts. I am trying to get everything figured out and done so once I get the sled and the parts together I can just bolt them in and be done with it.

Mine is a 2000 zl 600 with an upgraded shock. I too have to wait till my parts get back from painting. Painting the rails Yamaha blue and the arm assembly's white. Shall look pretty sweet!

Jake

I took new pictures last night of the mounting points for another TY member. If anyone would like to refer to them you can pm me your e-mail address and I'll send them out.

Fullback said:
I took new pictures last night of the mounting points for another TY member. If anyone would like to refer to them you can pm me your e-mail address and I'll send them out.

If you'd like, if you email them to me, I could post them here? I think there are quite a few that may like to see them....

michahicks@aol.com

Fullback said:
Thanks ahicks. I'll send them to you when I get home tonight. Bob

I put these up as soon as I could, even though there was a problem with a second batch. So more to follow as soon as I see them.

Bob, would you mind sharing the dimensions you used also?

Thanks, -Al

Attachments

• Tcatskid001.jpg
    Tcatskid001.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Tcatskid002.jpg
    Tcatskid002.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Tcatskid003.jpg
    Tcatskid003.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Tcatskid004.jpg
    Tcatskid004.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 117
Thanks again for posting Al. The new front shaft location was 6 3/4" center to center in front of the second Yamaha original hole and 6 3/4" down from the top of the tunnel. If i were to do it over I would have gone 6 7/8" from the second yamaha hole as the skid really could have gone forward just a touch. Because it's a little farther back it's hard to get my track looser... running out of adjustment. That's ok though as I'm within the AC recommended track deflection of 1 1/2" at 22lbs of pressure at the center of the rail. One things for sure I will never run out of adjustment if it stretches more. My rear shaft center to center is 31 1/4". This is on a mountain skid though. I believe that the 121's were 26 something. ;)!

Back