• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Are roller secondarys a worthy modification for the RX-1?

Frostbite

TY 4 Stroke God
I have heard it both ways. Some riders say their roller secondary is the best thing they have ever done to their sled and others have said they never did get their roller secondary completely dialed in.

I have looked at them with full intent of buying one but with so many variations out there it's tough to tell which one would work best for a RX-1.

I love the idea of the Heel X fro Super Torquer and if it does half of what they say (down shift to passing gear) then I'd be all over it.

The Hi tech encapsulated roller is a big hit with some folks and others say to throw them away and stay with the stock secondary setup.

The Team is stock on Polaris and work wonderfully but I have heard that they don't work well on Yamahas.

Then there are the Bender, Mountain Performance, Aaen, Hauck, Advantage X, Hartman, ect, ect.................................................

I honestly don't know what to think about this. I'm sure if you have one and you like it you'll recommned it to others.

I have been told by very knowledgable Yamaha tuner to just leave the secondary alone and run the best angle helix and spring combination you can find but this was several years ago. Has technology changed this theory?

Thoughts?

Frosty

Worked with a Team secondary and a Yamaha secondary on a Vector Mountain this past weekend. At first the Team was faster and better back shifting, but after some adjusting and finding the right helix the Yamaha blew it out of the water! Love running the Advant-Edge roller secondary as well (best roller secondary on the market in my mind). The Heel-X roller secondary is a great concept, but it's just that, a concept. It hasn't taken off like it should have. The biggest issue is it's a pain to work on (changing helixes is a pain) and Super Torquer advertised it as "Billet" last year when in fact it was a machined cast.

Haven't played with any of the other designs that have been around for a while because the Yamaha clutch when tuned right out performed it. I would however like to get my hands on a Hyperlite and a Paragon!

Is the Advant-edge head and shoulders above a stock Yamaha setup with say a Dalton helix and the right spring?

Turk has tried several as well and he uses it so it can't be all bad.

I hate to have to buy 3 or more helixes and a box of off brand secondary springs that don't work for any other application to try find the best setup.

I want a bolt on and go setup that has been tested and is actually an improvement over the best stock setup in reality and not just theory.

Frosty

I have 4 seasons on the roller rooster. There was a big learning curve involved. You gotta add 10(yes 10!!) degrees to each angle to equal most aftermarket helix,s in upshift. For example a 41/35 roller rooster = about a 51/45 Dalton/Hauck/Bender/Microbelmont billet helix. The thing I really like about the advant-edge roller is you can wrap that thing as tight as you need with just about any secondary spring & it will still shift out & give good top end!

Thanks Turk, That's pretty much what I had heard regarding the learning curve on the roller setups.
For instance with my Dalton 54/42 progressive (not the "R") helix. I think I could pull maybe 1 or 2 degrees on the top number so I'd want a 45/32 degree helix and use the silver Yamaha spring at 80 degrees or is there a better (tried and true) helix angle one should consider?

Frosty

Something else to think about... I had 5 Super Torquer secondaries that failed last year. Randy promised to fix/replace them last year. Still waiting... I personally would never buy another one of his products. These were all on Polaris machines that failed. Be careful, when I called him two weeks ago and told him I would drive to Little Falls (his shop) and get replacements, he told me I wasn't allowed to do that because he was too busy. I'm still waiting.

I would check out the helix,s he has available on his website. I originally started with a 47/39 on a piped ported 700 sx. It was awesome on groomed trails & hard packed snow but would die in powder & bog out if I got good traction or encountered soft snow while drag racing.I ended using a 43/39 & a 41/35. The rX-1 is a different animal & can pull a lot more helix with out these symptons plus you gotta wrap it tighter anyway. If you run groomed trails & stay out of powder go steeper but if you go off trail stay with a shallower helix.

49/35 with a silver spring at 90 works good with the STOCK RX-1 primary, but when you go to more aggressive profile weights it's too steep of initial angle. I will be doing some testing this weekend. Going to start with a 41/35 and adjust from there.

FROSTBITE.......... I would say it depends on the application.
Being in Wsahington I assume (hate doing that) you are a mountain guy.
I can't address mt's as I'm a flatlander at 1,500ft max here in Mass.
The first thing I did was toss the Yam secondary for the TEAM.
I'm running a 58/38 .46 Red/Black spring.
Without a doubt the best change so far to the sled. The up shift is wild and the back shift is always spot on! Lake race is great as the TEAM is much more
efficient. Top end do not suffer and may be slightly better. Clutches work together, as you know, so dialing in the primary is manditory. It all depends on what your application is.
My 2 cents!! :Rockon: :Rockon:
OTIS

Thanks, I'm an odd ball when it come to dialing in my sleds. I ride 3-6,000 feet predominantly. Probably the strange thing to some is I ride 40% mountain trails (fast), 30% Boondocking, 15% hill climbing and the last 15% is spent on mountain airstrip drag racing.

What I have now works ressonably well in all my encounters (although I do lighten up the heavy hitters when boondocking).

Are roller setups typically more or less sensitive to changes in riding environments?

Thanks agin for the information.

Frosty

I would say much less. But then again I don't ride the variety you do.
What it really boils down to is how deep are your pockets?
You can go flippin crazy with this stuff.
OTIS

Re: Are roller secondarys a worthy modification for the RX-1

Frostbite said:
I have heard it both ways. Some riders say their roller secondary is the best thing they have ever done to their sled and others have said they never did get their roller secondary completely dialed in.

I have looked at them with full intent of buying one but with so many variations out there it's tough to tell which one would work best for a RX-1.

I love the idea of the Heel X fro Super Torquer and if it does half of what they say (down shift to passing gear) then I'd be all over it.

The Hi tech encapsulated roller is a big hit with some folks and others say to throw them away and stay with the stock secondary setup.

The Team is stock on Polaris and work wonderfully but I have heard that they don't work well on Yamahas.

Then there are the Bender, Mountain Performance, Aaen, Hauck, Advantage X, Hartman, ect, ect.................................................

I honestly don't know what to think about this. I'm sure if you have one and you like it you'll recommned it to others.

I have been told by very knowledgable Yamaha tuner to just leave the secondary alone and run the best angle helix and spring combination you can find but this was several years ago. Has technology changed this theory?

Thoughts?

Frosty

Frosty, save your money!

NOS on Non-Turbo sled will create it's own bag of performance worms. Think clutching!
The real problem with MODS is unless you live where you can wrench test, wrench test, wrench test, you're always chasing a set up that performs for Joe Schmo but may not for you. You'll spend all your riding time working on the sled or riding a poor set up.
Everybody's performance expectations are different.
I (along with others on this TY site) live right on a lake and can "wrench test" every day or night if we please.
Words for thought!
OTIS

I am a huge fan of Hitech er, and it did awesome things on my srx, but doesnt seem to work on the Rx1. I dont know if its a spring or helix problem, I just know I dont like it.

Back