• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Are skid links breaking on the GTs?

jkraeger

Veteran
Just want to know. Might pick up a GT skid to have as a spare and maybe I'll like it better than the FX setup.

I ask this same question of Mtn Lites. I haven't heard of any of those or the GTs breaking. Is it really all FXs?

skid

Have not broke mine yet on my GT (07') I been trying to like hell. I ride ditches and powerlines, and jump as much as possible. Very soft valving, in the gt skid. I plan to up grade with some works this summer from shock tech. I only have just over 300 mile on my sled.

It could be the guys that buy the FX are just more likely to push it harder in the bumps, therefore the FX may be seeing more failures. Just a thought.

My son's 07 FX linkage broke yesterday...he is 14 and weighs 100 lbs...he has only rode groomed trails and is supervised (by me)...I cannot think of anyway possible he could have abused the sled...particularly one that is suppose to be designed for off trail riding...something else has to be going on.

Mine is a standard Phazer.When link broke it had the stock nonrebuildable shocks on it.Arent those the same shocks the GT has?

I think the link breaks two ways.One if you bottom out that breaks it.Other if you have shocks that are stiff the shocks just put to much force on the link and for that matter the shaft they are connected to.

I beat mine pretty good but im smart enough to know when the sleds not happy. i think miked hit it on the head. any sled will only take so much, my sno cross sleds begged to be ridden hard,until you start repairing broken shocks etc. that gets old quick. mine is still ok though.

Yeah, the nice thing is we get to buy new shocks since they didn't use rebuildables. Come on, any new sled other than maybe a fan should come with rebuildable shocks. Now I have to match a set up.

I have dropped some cornices and jumped my mtn lite a bunch shock i all the way stiff and i still bottom out all the time nothing wrong/broke on the skid i just keep it greased.

The main difference between the models is the spring rate. I know that the ones that are breaking the link feel they are bottoming out alot and stiffen it up more. I did the opposite on my FX. I soften it up and I got 2000 extremely hard miles on mine and mine is still working good. Mine felt like it was bottoming when I first got it but I used the basic MX tech that I use on my bike supension. I wrapped a zip tie around the rear shock and rode it to see how far into the travel it was pushing the zip tie down. And when I did this to my suprise, I wasnt pushing the tie wrap down to the bottom like I felt or thought it was doing. So I soften things up and it works better and I havent broke the link. Just something to think about. And maybe that is why the MT's and GT's arent breaking the link. There softer. MY two cents.

Back